9: Bonjour Mère et Père

As much as I hate to admit it now, Zeke wasn't the only person I was interested in a few months ago. He had competition, serious competition. As I have mentioned before he was not the most perfect of people, at this time Steve did seem perfect. Then again, at that time so did Zeke.

It still confuses me how I could even consider giving up Zeke for someone else. What was going through my mind?

***

I stayed into the early hours of the morning texting Steve. Emily wouldn't stop making remarks about how I should just ask him out because I clearly like him, but to be honest, I don't. I still liked Zeke, and I knew nothing could change my mind about him. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing I wasn't sure.

I was in the middle of eating lunch when I heard a car pull up outside. Please, please, please don't let it be them! I pleaded inside my head.

They came bursting through the doorway, hand-in-hand which enough luggage to think they moved to Paris.

"Bonjour!" They chorused.

Crap.

"Hey Mum, hey Dad." I said. Emily repeating me shortly after.

I ran over to them, embracing them in a large hug. They started to ramble on about their adventures in Paris, adding in the sights they had been to and how romantic the city had been. After I had helped my Mum unpack she sat me down at the kitchen table and told me we needed to talk.

"Abby, did anything happen while I was away?" She said, in a tone which sounded somewhat serious.

"What do you mean?" I replied, feeling a bit confused.

"Well, you know, did everything run smoothly?"

"Yes."

"Is there anything you want to tell me?"

I looked into her eyes, she was serious. What did she mean? What does she want from me? I decided I would play dumb, my favourite type of act.

"No." I mumbled, shaking my head. Nothing happened which needed her concern.

My Mum stood up from the table looking disappointed at me. What?! She shook her head and started to clean up the kitchen. I got up and left the room completely baffled. Mum had been back half an hour and already she was being vague and annoying.

I went up to my room and sat on the edge of my bed. I looked at my phone to find a missed call from Zeke. I wonder what he was calling me for? I thought that maybe I should ring him back.

Well, that was stupid, I thought, What else did I plan to do?

"Hey Zeke. Did you ring me?" I asked him as he answered the phone.

"Oh, hey Abby. I was wondering if you wanted to get a coffee with me or something?" Zeke said a little warily.

"Yeah, sure. Sounds great!" I wasn't really that into the idea, but I would do anything to get away from my family at that point.

"Meet you in five? At Charlie's Café on the main road."

I hung up and went into the bathroom to put on the tiniest bit of make up. After I had put on my mascara and blush I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

It took me five minutes to get to Charlie's Café. Zeke was waiting outside the door and grinned when he saw me.

"Hey!" he exclaimed.

"Hi." I said, a little weakly.

We entered the cafe and I ordered a cappuccino and Zeke got an espresso. After we had ordered Zeke started to talk to me.