6: The Drink Spiker

I remember watching sappy romance movies and thinking to myself, 'how can anyone feel like that about someone else?'. I always thought that they were just made up fantasies, I never once thought that I, myself, could think like that. I had never once been in love until I met him. He changed my life. He made my life.

***

I was driving home peacefully, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel along with the music coming from the radio. Suddenly, out of nowhere appeared a woman holding up a poster of Damien O'Kane, her eyes filled with tears.

"Have you seen this man?" she asked, trying to force back the tears as best she could.

I stared at the picture, I couldn't tell her I recognised him. I looked up at her, her eyes filled with sorrow but yet with some hope that I might know the whereabouts of this man. I shook my head, trying to avoid eye contact as I drive away. When I am a few yards away from the woman I look in my wing-mirror and see her breaking down in tears.

I got home, flopped down onto the sofa and started to cry. Why didn't I tell her I had recognised him? I curled up in a tight ball, feeling the guilt wash over me. He could've murdered her daughter or son and I deliberately didn't help her. I have to redeem myself somehow. All I know is that if I ever met Damien O'Kane, or another murderer for that matter, I would spit over him.

Emily walked in looking for a pair of earrings which matched her outfit. When she saw me crying she sat down beside me and hugged me. She didn't question my actions, she said nothing. As much as she annoyed the hell out of me sometimes, I still loved her to bits.

Emily was the total opposite of me. She was pretty and popular, with the girls as well as the boys. She had blonde hair, which reached past her shoulders. She was always very tan and slim, and in a constant good mood. Emily's smart, maybe not the smartest in her class, but still smart by all means.

Eventually, Emily stood up and continued searching for her earrings. She walked out the door, bidding a hasty farewell and left for her club. I never pointed out the fact that she's underage, I never do, but at least I trust her enough to know that she wouldn't get drunk.

I turned on the T.V, trying to take my mind off the whole Damien O'Kane incident. It's funny how much of an impact he's made on my life when I didn't even know him. After a few minutes of flicking through the channels I finally settled on a bit on 90210, even though I wasn't found on it.

Halfway through the episode my phone rang, I was quite annoyed as, although I hate to admit it, I was actually quite enjoying the show. The caller I.D was unknown, so I answered it a little warily.

"Hello?"

"Abby!"

I know that voice, I know it all too well. I first heard it in a forest, when the speaker couldn't even remember his name.

"Zeke, hey. What's up?" I said, as casually as possible, but inside I was bursting with happiness.

"There's a small lake near my house, I found it today. Would you like to visit it tomorrow with me?"

I tried my best not to squeal with excitement. Call me childish, I don't care. Hearing his voice was just enough to make me forget about all my worries and fears.

"Yeah, sounds fun!" I said.

We chatted a little while longer, although nothing important was said. We just mde small talk, and 90210 was actually mentioned once. Eventually, I hung up and went to bed. I didn't realise how tired I really was.

~*~

I woke up because I was feeling a bit sick and it was preventing me from the peaceful slumber I desperately needed.

I checked my clock: 3:15am. I got up out of my cosy bed and stretched, I decided to go down and get a drink of water. As I stood up, the room around me swirled and I concluded a glass of water would be just what I needed.

When I left my room I heard murmuring and went downstairs to find Emily with a man I had never seen before talking on the sofa. I coughed to let them know I was there which startled Emily. She looked round, staring at me wide-eyed, then she started to giggle uncontrollably. I knew exactly what was happening.

The man beside her on the sofa looked very knowing, as he if planned this. He had scruffy blond hair and was reasonably taller than Emily. Emily was clearly drunk but the man seemed innocently sober.

I shooed the strange man out the house and went into the kitchen to fill up my glass with water. Once it was full I walked into the living-room and frowned at Emily.

Emily was still laughing. She suddenly went serious and said, "Why did he leave?" She slurred.

"Emily, I trusted you! Why the hell are you drunk!?"

"He gave me a drink. I took it. He said it was Coca-Cola. Was it not?"

I stared at her, narrowing my eyes. I couldn't tell whether she was serious or not as she was still totally blocked. I held her arm and directed her up to bed. After I had put her in bed and she seemed asleep, I went into my own room with my water and lay down under the covers.

Who was that guy and why did he lie to Emily? What made me even more weary was that did he spike her drink to get back to our house? Why would he want to come to our house? What did he want with me and Emily? Did he even spike her drink or was I making assumptions? I gave up with all the thinking eventually and let my eyes close, making me drift into a deep sleep. I just want to forget about the recent events and just look foward to tomorrow. I've had enough stress lately.