Chapter four

After leaving Gilbert's house, I suddenly felt emptiness. Would Alfred be home? Or is he staying with Kiku for a few more days? If so, I might as well be dead. That's what I am to the world, or at least my parents. They hardly acknowledge me.

When we got home and Arthur opened the door, I didn't even bother to say hello. I slipped past him and rushed upstairs to my room and shut my door. If Alfred were here, I bet he would've answered the door and at least would have high-fived me. I sat on my bed and placed my hand on a crease in the blanket as I thought. What did Prussia mean by not being able to forget my eyes? They are fairly normal. Just like anyone else's!

"Matthieu!" Francis called.

I groaned. What does he want now!? I went back downstairs and stood in front of Arthur and Francis.

"I would love if you 'elped making supper with me! Arthur is going to go relax..." as he said that his eyes narrowed at Arthur. Probably indicating for him to go to bed.

Arthur did that. He went to his bedroom and left me and Francis alone. "We are making French cuisine! We will make fries and 'ave cheese and wine..."

"M-maybe we could make s-something else? There is something I would l-like to try and make..." I interrupted him.

He gave me a look, but it had softened.

He had hesitated to answer. "Oui, let's make some new foods, shall we?" he winked and we headed to the kitchen.

We began baking and gathered many ingredients. I had something in mind, but I'd have to wait and see.

"Papa?" I said. "I was wondering why..." I paused with nervousness. "I-I mean who is coming over?" I asked.

"'ow do you know someone is coming over?" Francis avoided to answer.

I poured gravy over the food I made. "We only make F-French cuisine when someone c-comes o-over..." I explained.

Francis sighed. "...Gilbert and Kiku..." he spoke quietly.

I raised my eyebrows. "Pardon?"

"Gilbert and Kiku...they are coming over for supper tonight. I wanted to show my gratitude for letting you and I stay at Gilbert's, and for Alfred staying at Kiku's. Nothing more." he said.

I nodded, but I was happy that Gilbert was coming over. He could try my new cuisine! Or would you call it that? Who knows! I will just be happy if he likes it! I started getting cheery. Maybe it was because Alfred was coming back?

~
That evening, I stared out my window, watching both Gilbert and Kiku walk up to the front step. My eyes stayed glued to Gil as he chatted a little with Japan. As I admired him, I looked over to see another figure walking towards the door, especially hesitant.

Was that...Alfred? I couldn't believe it. It was! He's back!
I couldn't have been more excited and petrified.
~
Kiku, Alfred, and Gilbert arrived at our house just as we had finished making supper. Arthur answered the door, a greeting to Kiku, a stare to Alfred, and a handshake to Gilbert. Everyone joined in the diningroom and sat down, looking at the food in front. Yes, we still ended up making fries and serving cheese and wine, but with my new special type of food. I called it Poutine. When we dished up food, Gilbert reached for the poutine, then Alfred, then me. Everyone else sticked with the french food Francis had made.

After a few bites, Alfred had stood up from his seat. "This is wickedly cool, yo!" he announced. "The taste is excellent!"

I smiled shyly at his approval. "T-Thank--"

Alfred turned to Francis. "How did you make this, dude?! It's amazing!"

After hearing him praise Francis for the food, I looked down at my plate sadly.

The rest of supper was all talk of gratefullness that Francis and Alfred had places to stay. Not even once was I mentioned. I decided to grab everyone's empty dishes. When I got to Gilbert's, he looked up at me.

"Zhat vas good! Vhat do you call it? Zhe fries und cheese und gravy?" he asked me.

He knew I made it?!?!

"Uh...ah um...I call it poutine..." I whispered.

"Cool! Make it for me next time!"

"I can give you s-some leftovers..."

"Awesome! Not as awesome as me zhough! Kesesesese~"

His strange laugh sent chills down my spine, neither in a good nor bad way. I went to the kitchen and put the dishes in the sink. After that, I went to grab the rest of the poutine and put it in a big dish and put it away until Gilbert left. I returned to the diningroom just as Kiku was leaving.

"B-bye Kiku!" I called after him as he shut the door.

"I guess I should be goving back home as vell." Gilbert said, standing up and grabbing his bag that he brought for some reason.

"I'll go get your--"

"Merci again Gilbert!" Francis interrupted me and was leading him to the door.

"W-wait Gilbert! Your pout--"

"Thanks for letting him stay, bro!" Alfred thanked Gilbert.

"Nevermind then...He's just like the rest of them." I muttered sadly.

Gilbert turned around. "Vait! I can't forget zhe awesome poutine leftovers zhat I vas told I vould get." his red eyes darted to me.

I nervously shook but rushed to get his poutine. "He...remembered." I said to myself. I came back to where Gilbert was waiting.

"Kesesesese~ Danke!" he said as he snatched the poutine and turned to leave.

"Th-thanks for coming..." I said softly.

Gilbert turned his head to look at me. "You're awesomely welcome." he winked. My eyes widened and watched him as he left.

That was the last time I'd seen him for a month.

~

I'm going to be honest with you, I missed him. A lot. To make matters worse, Alfred and Arthur kept fighting and I still couldn't do anything about it. Papa Francis had to keep breaking it up, and I just stayed in my room the whole time. It was horrible.

Our family was falling apart and I was just letting it happen! Maybe if I wasn't quiet, maybe if I was a better, stronger, country like Alfred, I could've stopped this. But I'm not, and I know I won't ever will be. I hate being invisible, and the funny thing about this is, that I keep telling myself that there are perks to being invisible, while in reality, they're really isn't any at all.

I think a good example would be when I was little. I was around fifty or so, five to you mortals. I started to notice that whenever I said good morning to my family, they would ignore me at first, and then finally notice me when I poked them or something, they would yelp and finally see me. It was funny at first because it was hilarious seeing Alfred freaked out. But it got boring pretty fast.

Papa Francis and Arthur found out what I was doing a few months after I found out I was invisible. They of course set me straight after a really, REALLY, long talk about how to respect others privacy and how it was not right to scare others all the time. I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyways.

I just wanted them to notice me.