Chapter two

As I said, I was wrong. A week later we were back, but before that,I met someone who would change my life. Someone I grew to love.

I'm guessing you want to hear about this person huh? Well, it was after we left when Papa Francis pulled into a driveway on the other side of town.

I looked up at him with a look of confusion, "W-What are w-we doing here?" I asked quietly as I studied the house closely.

He gave me a small smile and said, "We're just going to stay 'ere for a couple of days. It will be....safer." He said turning away and unbuckling his seatbelt and exiting the car. I sighed and did the same.

I hugged Kumajiro close to my chest as I walked up the long stone path leading to the doorway looking down. I didn't have the energy to even walk, I remember being so emotionally exhausted that I didn't even have the energy to look up, but I forced my self to.

Papa put an arm around my shoulder reassuringly and led me up the steps.

He knocked on the door and we waited patiently. I shifted my feet and looked down as the door opened. "Vell look who it is," said a voice thick with a German accent, "Hello zhere Francey Pants!" he said as he tugged my father in for a hug.

I looked up and was met with the most beautiful red eyes I have ever seen. They were truly red as blood and he had magnificent hair as white as snow, like in the fairy tales me and Papa Arthur read when I was eight.

I blinked and gave a small smile.

"H-Hello." I squeaked as I looked back down.

"Und who is zis?" He asked as he pulled away from Francis.

"Who?" asked Francis looking around.

"Him!" the red eyed man pointed at me,

"OH! Sorry, he's my son Mathieu." he said proudly. I sighed and held out my hand, which he took gently and shook it.

"Hello zhere Matzhew. I am zhe awesome Gilbert Beilschmidt." he said with a smirk.

I blushed and looked down. "H-hi." I muttered as I shifted again.

I could still feel his eyes on me as we entered the house. "Thanks for letting us stay 'ere Gilbert." Papa says as he walks into the living room and sits on a couch.

"Hmm? Oh! no problem Francis. Anytime."

I then walk into the living sitting on a chair and holding Kumajiro even closer when I dared to look up at Gilbert, who was already staring back.

He then winked which sent shivers up my spine. I looked back down and shook my head as I kicked off my shoes and brought my knees back up against my chest as I sunk even farther into the chair.

"So Francis," asked Gilbert, "Vhat happened?" he asked while getting his beer off the coffee table and taking a sip.

Papa sighed and shook his head, "Mathieu? Can you please go ahead and get our room set up?" he asked looking over at me.

I nodded and left down to the long hallway and looked over my shoulder to see Gilbert following me.

I gulped and hugged my bear even tighter. "It's right here." he said with a smirk and showing me to a room that was quite plain unlike the rest of the house, it didn't have any pictures of him, nor his bird.

"T-Thank you." I said as I looked down and entered the room.

"No problem Matt." he said as he winked and turned to leave back down the long hallway. I turned to watch him leave and sighed in relief.

"What was that?" I asked my self shaking my head. "And Matt? I've never been call that before." I said to myself, smiling for only a moment before going into our room while shutting the door.

I lied down on the bed and sighed shakily as I silently cried my self to sleep.

~

I awoke to arms wrapping around my waist. I froze for a moment then relaxed to Papa's soothing voice. "My dear Mathieu, I'm going to find Alfred tomorrow okay? He shouldn't 'ave gone far." he said as

I turned over and hugged him close.

"Thank you P-Papa." I say smiling sleepily.

He smiles back and closes his eyes. I turn over once again and close my eyes and drift back into a dreamless sleep.

~

I awoke a few hours with a jolt. I sat up quickly and looked over to Papa sleeping soundly.

I sighed and hugged Kumajiro closely as I walked to the doorway, and opened the door quietly not to wake him, and proceed to close it carefully behind me.

I sighed and walked down the hallway noticing many, many pictures of Gilbert along the walls. I smiled and thought back to my house. Papa Francis insisted of a huge portrait of himself in his and Arthur's room, to which Papa Arthur replied,

"You're joking, right?" I remember laughing and looking over at Alfred, who was drinking a milkshake at the time, and it made milk squirt out of his nose. I laughed even harder and Francis muttering about us being "Meanies." Arthur then cleaned up Alfred and send us on our way, shaking his head at us.

"The kids agree Francis, we wouldn't want a hobnocker on our wall." He said chuckling and giving Papa a kiss on the cheek.

I smiled at the memory as I kept walking down the long hallway to the kitchen. "P-Pancake time." I say smiling and looking through the many cabinets along the walls and finding the ingredients.

"I....w-wish Alfred w-was here." I say looking down letting a tear fall as I hastily wiped it away, "Pull yourself together Matthew."

I say straightening my posterior and started mixing the ingredients in the bowl.

"You n-need to be strong for Papa France, be strong for P-Papa Britain, be strong for brother A-America! Be strong for y-yourself!" I kept repeating over and over as I pour the mixture onto a griddle and immediately started to flip the pancakes.

"T-These will b-be great!" I say excitedly as I flip them onto a plate and took my emergency syrup bottle from my sweater pocket.

"Knew t-this would c-come in handy someday." I say proudly as I heard a door open and close from the hallway. Curiosity got the best of me and I snuck over and peaked my head from around the door way, to which I saw Gilbert walking down the hallway with a smile on his face.

"Guten Morgen Matt." He said smiling as he past me and entered the kitchen.

" O-oh yes. Good Morning." I stuttered as I turned around and gave a small smile.

"Vhat's for breakfast?" he asked as he poked my pancakes with a confused expression.

"Pancakes of c-course." I say as I pilled a few onto a plate for him. "Made b-by Canada himself." I say proudly and giving him the plate.

"Pan-Cakes? Vhat are..Pan-cakes?" He asked as he took a bite.

"Just an old Canadian r-recipe." I say shrugging.

"Zhey are..good. But plain." He said shrugging. I scoffed and took out my bottle from the pocket of my sweater.

"Well y-you've never tried this p-piece of heaven than" I say smiling and pouring my syrup onto his pancakes.

He raised an eyebrow and took another bite, and his reaction was priceless. "OH MEIN GOTT!" He yelled and started to scarf them down. "Zhey are almost as awesome as me!" He said excitedly as he continued to eat them.

I laughed and ate my share. "Thank you." I say quietly as I continued to eat them as I hurried to the living room blushing.