Chapter three

This went on for a few days afterwards, Gilbert would always have me make my pancakes for him everyday.

I was starting to feel happy again when Papa Francis announced something terrible at the dinner table on our last night there. Before I get into that, you're probably wondering where Alfred went to, well, Papa France will explain that also in a moment.

"Mathieu? Can you set zhe dinner table?" Papa asked as I was reading a book Gilbert lent me.

"Oui, Papa." I said quietly,giving a small smile and getting up from the chair.

I entered the kitchen and dug through the many cabinets to find plates.

As I set the table, Papa laid out the Spaghetti and wine we decided to have.
Wine is a delicacy, and I know what you're initially thinking, "Matthew! You're only sixteen!" Guys, I'm immortal. Calm down eh?

Anyways, after I set the table, I went down the long hallway to Gilbert's bedroom.

I knocked on the door exactly three times, since that's how Papa always knocks on his door if he needs something. Gilbert always kept in his room all day for some weird reason, but I never brought enough courage to ask why.

Gilbert answered the door and looked into my eyes, Red mixed with Violet? Huh, what an interesting combination.

He grinned and asked, "Vell hallo zhere Matt, vat is it zhat you need?" He asked in his German accent.

I blushed furiously and manage to squeak out, "Dinner is r-ready."

He continued to as he walked out before tightly closing his door and offered an arm to me. I blushed deep tomato red and took it as we walked down the long hallway together. I smiled contently as we entered the kitchen.

"Ja Spaghetti! Feliciano ought to be here vizh us!" He said taking his arm away and sitting at the table smiling.

I sighed sadly and sat beside Papa and helped myself to some Spaghetti. "Gilbert's right. Italy D-DID c-create the stuff." I say quietly. Gilbert smiled at me and looked back to Papa who was deep in thought.

" Papa? A-Are you okay?" I ask looking up at him.

He looked around quickly, "W'o said zhat?"

I groaned and rubbed my eyes, "P-Papa! I'm right h-here." I muttered darkly.

He looked around once more and his eyes finally landed on me. "Oh! Mathieu! When did you get 'ere?" He asked as he sipped his wine.

"I was here the whole t-time..." I muttered once more and looked down sadly.

Gilbert looked at me with pity as he drank his beer, which was pretty much the only thing he drank.

I hugged Kumajiro close and drunk my wine carefully, as Papa tapped his glass carefully with a smile on his face. I smiled up at him as he started to talk.

"Everyone? I, ah, 'ave an announcement to make." He said almost stuttering.

I looked up at Papa with a confused expression. "Stutter? Papa doesn't stutter, it must be something important then," I think as he clears his throat and began talking.

"Now I've been talking to Arthur these past couple of days, and we've come to an agreement to go back 'ome." He said looking at me.

My eyes widened as he said those words. "G-go Back?" I say shocked, "W-why?" I ask suddenly.

"Now Mathieu, I love your father very much, and I want to give a second chance! Wouldn't you? We cannot stay 'ere forever." he said simply.

I remember feeling....broken. My stomach did flops and my heart sank down to me feet.
I didn't want to leave, and especially when I just found someone who remembers who I am! And go back to that hellhole?!

"But...but Papa-"

I had started to say before he cut me off, "No buts Mattie." He said looking down at me with a fierce expression before it turned soft, "Your father wants to apologize Mathieu, 'e didn't mean to scare you, 'e was just drunk." He said simply.

I shook my head and looked down sadly, "I.....okay P-Papa." I say hugging Kumajiro closer.

Papa sighed and used his pointer finger to tilt my chin up and looked into my eyes.

" I know you're scared Mattie, but I would never, ever let 'im 'urt you or Alfred." He said smiling. I force a smile as he turned away.

"Papa? Where did Alfred go?" I ask looking down once more after we finished supper.

He sighed and shook his head, "Alfred.....well, 'e went to stay with Kiku Honda for a while." He said with a sad expression.

"Japan? W-Why?" I ask confused. "Well sure he's good friends with him, but I didn't know he was THAT close to him." I thought.

"He just said he wanted to stay with him okay?" Papa said quickly.

"Y-yeah, okay." I said sadly. "I m-miss him though." I say looking down once more.

He sighs and turns on the T.V and watches the news, completing our conversation for the night.

~

The next morning was a sad one. It meant we would need to leave, so I got up extra early and made the best pancakes I could ever make, and proudly presented to a very giddy Prussia and an exasperated France. "Zhey are just as good as zhey vere yesterday Birdie!" He says as he scarf down two at a time.

"Birdie?" I ask quietly.

"Oh Ja, Birdie zounds better zhen just Matt." He said simply.

I shrugged and ate my share as France came back from the washroom. "It doesn't matter what you call me, Gilbert, I'm just surprised you actually remember my name." I say blushing and eating the last of my pancake. Gilbert smirked as he ate his last pancake.

"How can anyone forget you Birdie? Especially your eyes..." He said trailing off which lead him to covering his mouth quickly before running past Papa and down the long hallway to his room.

I stood there shocked as I watched him leave. "M-my eyes? What?" I say blushing maple leaf red and looking in the reflection of my fork. "What about them?" I whispered as Papa came in happy and dug out wine from the fridge.

"Today is zhe day!" He said excitedly as he ate his share of breakfast. "Aren't you excited Mathieu?" He asked as he munched on his pancakes.

I took no notice as I was deep in thought about what Gilbert said about my eyes.

"Hmm? W-What?" I ask blinking quickly and looking up at Papa who had a quizzical expression on his face,

"Mathieu? Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded quickly and looked down innocently, "Oh yes.....I'm fine, b-better then I've been in a l-long time." I said truthfully.