a night in the rain

The next night Oliver drove me to my apartment, after another long day hunting down Gorbovsky and a nice dinner at the same place we are at the night before.

As we pulled up into the parking lot, I looked to him. "Thank you Oliver. "
He looked at me and smiled one of his sweet smiles and tilted his head, then asked "for what?"
"For every thing. For taking care of me. Your the family I never had." I swallow a little hard, bringing up my forgotten family. Dang it Felicity.
His smile turns to a slight frown and his eyebrows get a little closer together. "Felicity, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what happened to your family?"
"Nothing that is worth talking about." I say a little too harshly. He looks down, then I speak again.
" My Dad left my Mom and I when I was little. I don't remember that much about him, but I will never forget his eyes, they were blue. Not the deep blue yours are, more of a green-blue, just like mine. I won't forget his hands either. I loved his hands. Maybe it was because I was little, I don't know, I just remember them being so big, and warm, they were so safe. And my last memory of him is that day he abandoned us. He caused our family so much pain..." my voice cracks slightly. "I'm sorry felicity, you don't have to tell me anymore.." I cut him off.
"No. I do. I have to tell someone.... after he left, my Mom couldn't take it. She became a drunk and we moved to Vegas. I grew up there, at least 3 times a week she would send me over to the neighbors house so I wouldn't see her drunk, but it only got worse. I took care of myself most of the time. I didn't have any friends, and I drowned myself in school work. Fully aware that I would not be able to pay for college, I was determined to get a scholarship. I then fell in love with computer science and later got a scholarship to MIT. I grew up without a family, and sure I have had some friends on the way, but none who cared as much as you do Oliver. So thank you." A tear rolls down my cheek and I quickly try to wipe it away, embarrassed, but Oliver beat me to the task. His soft hands remind me of my Dad's as he wipes away the tear with is fore finger then lifts up my chin so I look at him. "Felicity, I will never abandon you. I promise." There isn't anything else at that moment that Oliver could have said to make me feel better. He always knows what to say. His palm is pressed against my cheek, and I lean into it. "I know."
I respond. It is dark and still raining outside and a loud thunder reminds me that I should get going. "I should probably get going.." I slowly pull away. I can feel the ghost of his warm hand when it leaves my face. "It's getting late."
He nods and says, "Yeah, i'll walk you to your door." Five years on an island. If they all turn out liked this, (well mannered, fit, and brave) we should start shipping guys over there by the loads. "It's pouring, Oliver! I can walk by myself!"
"But what fun is that?!" He responds and smiles.
"Uuhhhg fine!" I say. "Okay, on the count of three... ready?" He asks. We count together. "One...two..three!" We both open our doors and get out fast and run together towards my apartment door. As we get closer I see that Oliver took off his sport coat and is coming close to me. He holds it over my head, blocking most of the rain, not that it's helping much, but the gesture is so sweet! We get to my door, unlock it, quickly and we both step inside. Once inside, I look at Oliver and examine my wet dress. We are both drenched. My dress is now tighter around my curves, and clingy to my skin and Oliver's shirt is sticking to his skin too, his perfect abs outlined. It's hard not to stare, so I look up to his face.
"That was fun!" I tell him. "Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing it again!" He exclaims. "Okay, Oliver it wasn't that fun! Look at us." I gesture to his dripping suit and hair, and my completely soaked light (now dark) green dress and falling, wet pony tail. My glasses are covered in water, so I take them off and set them on the little table next to us. When I look back at him, he is staring at me. "Can you see without your glasses?" He asks.
"Yeah, I just can't see far away mostly." I respond, staring back at him.
"Can you see me ?" He asks.
"Kind of." I say.
He takes a step closer to me. And asks again.
"What about now?"He smiles at me curiously. Is he flirting with me?
"Thats a little better I guess. " I like it when he is close to me. I feel safer the closer I am to him. I feel more complete. He takes a tiny step closer and I freeze. The toes of our shoes are touching. He's so close. "Can you see me now?" He says it almost in a whisper, but I can hear every wisp of air coming from his mouth.
I look him right in the eyes and swallow. "I can see you now." He smiles. "Good. I like it when you look me in the eyes." The words surprise me and I still don't move a millimeter, mainly for three reasons. One, because I am afraid that if I even breathe, he might step back, and I don't want him to. Two, because I don't want to ruin the moment, and three, because my heart has never raced like this before, and if I move, I might go into cardiac arrest.
Although a terrifying feeling in my stomach rumbles, I speak.. "and I like it when you look me in the eyes.."
Our faces are only centimeters apart. I can see his face perfectly, and when I say perfectly, I mean it is perfect. His hair is slightly darker and dripping water still, I'm sure I don't look good right now, but I don't care. I just care about Oliver right now. I care so much. If only he knew. If only he felt the same way. "Felicity, can I ask you a question?" He asks without moving or taking his eyes away from mine. "You just did." I say.
He smiles and pauses... "Can I kiss you?"
His words make my heart jump and I don't know what to do, but I do know that this might be my one and only opportunity.
"No." I say quickly.
Then, before he can say anything else, I slightly lean up on my tippy toes, close my eyes shut and kiss him lightly on the lips. I can tell he is surprised, but I doubt he is more surprised at me than I am at right now. He kisses me back and my world is turned upside down. His lips are soft and sweet. Oliver's arms are wrapped around my waist and mine are around his neck, like they were meant to be there. We pull closer to each other and nothing has ever felt so right. It lasts for a couple more seconds, and we both slowly pull back. We are still pressed against each other and I can feel his breath on my face, and his heart racing, just like mine. We stare at each other for a little bit, waiting for the other to talk, then Oliver speaks.
"I thought you said I couldn't kiss you."
"I did. I didn't say that I didn't want to kiss you."
He grins and grabs my hand. "Felicity Smoak, you are one of a kind." I take my other hand and grab his other hand and say, "Oliver Queen, you are my hero." He then grabs his drenched sport coat and kisses me on the forehead.
"Goodnight, Felicity."
"Goodnight, Oliver." I watch him walk out my door, wondering why he would ever choose me.