Chapter 20: Lap Dogs or Monsters

*UNEDITED* BTW the video is so very relevant;p

On my way home my car's gas light turned on urging me from my jumbled thoughts and to stop and fill up. Pulling into the closest gas station, which was already closed, I parked and turned my car off. I pulled my debit card out and began pumping my gas.

There was a chill in the air which caused me to shiver a little, meaning it must be cold if I was able to feel it passed the nerve damage. The chirping of too many crickets and grasshoppers was almost overwhelming in the still night air. As the gas pumped into my car slowly, my new instincts began to pick up unnerving sounds over the chirping. The sound of shuffling feet and a crashing garbage can made its way to my ears and had my head snapping in the direction it came from. When I saw nothing I turned my attention to the pump that had finally clicked, signaling that my tank was full. I put the pump up, closed my gas tank and made my way to the driver's side. Before I could make it half way around my car, the sound of footsteps behind me had my body tensing for action. I could hear their movements and before they could land their cowardly blow, my arm swiftly grabbed theirs and twisted it behind their back. I pinched a pressure point on his shoulder and he was out like a light.

I looked around and noticed that I was surrounded by six large men with ski masks hiding their features. I knew I had to think smart or it wouldn't end well for me. One of the men standing in front lunged at me. I side stepped him and brought my elbow down on the base of his neck, knocking him unconscious. Before I could take a breath, the other men all charged simultaneously.

My calculations told me that there was no way I was getting out of this unscathed. The smirks on their faces sent rage through me. They reminded me of when Jax and his cronies first took my family hostage, down to the same shoe laces that laced their blood stained boots.

I refuse to be taken again, I thought vehemently.

Before they could all crash into me, I smirked back at their sadistic smiles and said, "Not today." I jumped up and used the head of the closest one to jump off and gain momentum. He growled in agitation and they all swirled in my direction.

Five men stared me down, anger evident in their eyes as they tried to assess me with new eyes. Now that they knew I wasn't an easy target they seemed to be rethinking their strategy.

It's times like this I wish I carried a weapon, I thought bitterly. Note to self, take up weaponry.

They spread out in front of me in a semi-circle, cocky smirks now gracing their mostly covered faces. I saw every possible outcome and chose the one that would cause me the least amount of damage. I smiled deviously right back at them, which caused looks of confusion to grace their faces.

"What the hell are you smilin' about girl? You're about to lose." The man in the center barked out gruffly.

"I've lost too much already, I won't lose anything else, especially without a good fight." I growled.

The same man snorted, "Tch, whatever you say. I can see why Jax didn't just end you like he was supposed to, you've got spunk girl, but we can change that." At the mention of Jax, my body and mind froze allowing for one of the men to land a blow to the side of my head.

Shaken out of my momentary fear, I jumped back up and got into position before snarling at the man, "How in the fuck do you know about him?" They all laughed at my response.

"Oh this is just great! An Ascendant that has no idea what's going on! I bet she doesn't even know what happened to her when her twin was killed! Oh, this is gold!" They all cackled loudly at the man's words.