Chapter 6: Dr. Burns

*Edited by crimmsyn*

I woke with a headache and the sun in my face. I groaned and stood, wiping my eyes as I made my way to my bathroom. Images from last night tried to creep into my vision but I shooed them away and sealed my walls tight.

Not happening, I told my demons with force.

I grabbed some Advil from the cabinet under my sink and threw the pills back. I stripped and stepped into my shower, washing myself with my eyes closed. When I finished, I threw on an oversized sweater and sweatpants before making my way downstairs.

When I entered the kitchen, I poured a glass of orange juice and made myself a bowl of grits. Once I sat down at the bar, I noticed a note.

Emma,

If you need anything call me immediately and I'll be there. Try to relax and don't forget your appointment with Dr. Burns at four. I love you.

Love,

Aunt Karen

I threw the note to the side and shoved a spoonful of buttery grits into my mouth, trying to prepare my walls for Dr. Burns later today. I cringe at the thoughts of going out in public today; after last night, I'm too drained to deal with people.

My stomach knots when I see that it's already noon.

I sighed heavily before I put my empty dishes in the dishwasher and headed to the living room to plop myself on the couch. I flipped through the channels and landed on reruns of the only show worth watching – Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

The show successfully kept my mind occupied until about three o'clock. Then it was time to get ready to leave, so I forced myself up the stairs to my room. I threw my hair into a ponytail, put on minimal makeup, and pulled on a thin long-sleeve shirt, not wanting to have a heat stroke from a sweatshirt. I grabbed my purse and shoved my phone and wallet inside before heading out.

I reached Dr. Burns' office building with fifteen minutes to spare. I headed up to his floor and signed in before sitting in the waiting room alone - just the way I like it. After a while, a tall woman with short black hair exited Dr. Burns' office. He followed behind her with a small smile on his wrinkled face.

"See you in a couple weeks Ms. Soileau," he said to her. She nodded and left. He looked down around the office, and when he spotted me, he gave me a soft smile.

"Emma, how have you been since I last saw you?" he asked while motioning me into his office. His tall thin frame followed me in and closed the door. His office consisted of a large desk filled with picture frames, comfortable chairs, and bookshelves stocked full with games. He had everything from Monopoly to jump rope. Sighing, I responded with, "Only like...a couple weeks."

"Yes, too long," he said with a frown. I shrugged my shoulders. "So, how has the Prozac and Xanax been working?"

The meds he prescribed me. "Okay I guess. I eat more and can actually taste my food, so that's something," I replied honestly.

"Are you still having nightmares, panic attacks, phantom pains, or anything of that nature?" he asked with a raised brow.

Hating that I had to answer, I gulped before replying, "Yes. I had a nightmare last night followed by a panic attack." I look away from his concerned brown eyes before they could get through my defenses.

"What was the nightmare about?"

I gritted my teeth. "It was a memory."

"Did it have anything to do with that week?"