Chapter 4: Disrespect and Reflexes

*Edited by crimmsyn*

Finally, it was time for lunch. I tried, unsuccessfully, to escape Abbie and Kane so I could be alone and reel in my out-of-control emotions, but they stuck to my side regardless.

Kelly and her boyfriend, Brock, soon joined, and, I sighed in defeat as they all herded me towards the cafeteria. When we entered, the chatter in the room immediately ceased and we became the center of attention, everyone doing that damn head bow thing.

Fucking weirdos.

Before I could gather my thoughts or even get food, someone ushered me to a long ten-seat table in the center of the cafeteria. Kane sat to my right, Abbie to my left, Kelly across from me, and Brock next to her.

A few seconds later, another guy joined us, took a seat next to Abbie, and threw his arm around her shoulders. He was relatively tall with tanned skin and an athletic body type. His brown hair was cut short and his honey brown eyes sparkled as he glanced around the table, finally ending on me "Oh, hey, I'm Gabe. You must be Emma. Everyone is talking about you. We are all so excited that you're here. We've been waiting for a long time--ow," he stopped abruptly and glared at Kelly.

Dear God. Barbie-Talks-A-Lot has a Ken-Talks-A-Lot companion doll. I held back the urge to groan.

Kelly forced out a smile and said, "Please excuse him. He can't help himself. Abbie and Gabe don't know when to zip their lips. They are seriously perfect for each other."

"I'll be right back. Brock. Gabe," Kane said before standing and walking to the food line, Brock and Gabe following close behind.

Abbie started to chat away so I zoned out, wishing I could go home and sleep.

Kane set a tray down in front of me with a clatter, breaking my trance. He placed another tray in front of himself and instantly scarfed down a sandwich like he was in a race, only pausing to ask, "Why aren't you eating?" "

I hesitated, but when I saw the determination in his eyes, I felt pressured and began to pick away at the food in front of me. When will everyone stop sneaking glances at our table? Is this normal?

After the strangest lunch experience of my life, the weirdness continued. Kane and his posse built a human blockade around me between classes like I was the president, and the creepy head bowing had yet to stop. Two classes later, it was time for P.E. With Kane's crowd at my flanks, we all walked to the locker rooms and the girls split off from the guys."You are going to love P.E. here. Coach Mike is pretty cool." Abbie exclaimed, bouncing on the balls of her feet.

My face paled when I saw all of the girls changing out in the open. I desperately scoured the room for somewhere to change without judging eyes, and caught a bathroom stall I could escape into. I quickly switched outfits and shoved my day outfit in my gym bag before whipping my hair into a ponytail. For the first time today, my jagged scar was free to stare at.

After taking a deep breath, I walked back into the main area, all empty except for Kelly and Abbie. As soon as they saw my face their eyes widened in shock and they collectively gasped. I didn't respond, used to the effect my scars had on people. Instead, I waited quietly for the questions to start pouring out.

"Oh. My. Gosh. You look so badass, like the freaking Terminator!" Abbie squealed. I was so shocked at Abbie's bluntness, that I replied without thinking. "The Terminator wishes he was this cool," I said, and then proceeded to exit the locker room.Kelly and Abbie both bursted into laughter as we stepped into the gymnasium. As they continued to laugh like hyenas, the guys popped up behind us.