Chapter 14

I ran, ran as fast as I could. I needed to get over the fence.

I kept running, past trees and brambles. Suddenly, I was flying through the air! I landed with a thud, looked back and realized a root had tripped me.

The cat known as Nutwhisker wasn't far behind. I hurried to my feet, but just as I started running, I was tackled.

Nutwhisker pushed me to the ground. "How dare you try to run?" He snarled in my face.

"Please! Just let me go! She needs me!" I begged. "I won't come back!"

"We have been given orders to capture or kill any Bloodclan cats found in our territory. Since you won't obey our commands, I have no choice but to kill you." He meowed,

"No!" I screeched. The fence was so close, I was so close. "Please, please, no!"

He raised his paw, ready to deal the death blow.

I closed my eyes and waited. Then the weight on top of me just vanished.

"Get off of her!" A voice snarled.

I opened my eyes. "Apple!" I gasped, recognizing the ginger she cat chosen as Bone's mate.

"Get up. If there is more, we need to be ready." Apple hissed.

Rowanberry and Blackfoot appeared within moments.

"There's more?" Rowanberry gasped.

"Let us go, and no harm will come to you or your clan." Apple hissed.

"There is three of us, and two of you. How will you beat us?" Blackfoot smirked.

"Same way we always win." Apple hissed, lunging forward and swiftly grabbing Rowanberry's throat, flipping her onto her back. I was shocked.

I raced to Apple's side. The small she cat had a firm grip on her throat, but not hard enough to kill.

"Rowanberry!" Nutwhisker hissed, "Let her go! Now!"

"Like you let me go?" I snarled.

Nutwhisker's fur bristled, and he took a step forward.

"Not another step! Or she dies!" I hissed.

He glared at me, unmoving.

"Now, you will let us go peacefully, and we will let this she cat go." I meowed.

Blackfoot glared at me. I met his stare.

"Do we have a deal?" I asked.

"Fine." He hissed. Apple climbed off of Rowanberry.

I turned around and padded towards the fence, Apple at my side.

As soon as we were over it, I turned to face Apple.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I mewed. "That was some quick thinking. I didn't know you could fight so well!"

The ginger she cat nodded. "You probably would've done the same." She mewed.

"I need to go back to Nut. She needs me."  I mewed, looking over my shoulder. "Thanks again."

"Anytime, Ivy. See you soon." Apple mewed, turning around and padding away.

I turned and ran back the way I came, soon arriving in front of my den, where Nut was still on the ground. Kitty and Kyla were there.

"Where is the stick?" Snow asked, still bent over Nut.

"Ivy! What happened to your ear?" Kyla gasped.

"I had to go into the forest to find a stick, and I was attacked by a group of forest cats." I explained.

"How many were there?" Scourge asked.

"Three." I mewed. "Apple saved me."

"The first kit is coming!" Snow yowled.

I turned my attention to Nut.

"Concentrate on your breathing." I mewed.

Nut panted, then let out a pained yowl. The first wet bundle landed on the ground.

"Ivy! Break the sac around it then dry it off!" Snow hissed.

I hurried to obey. I nipped the sac then started licking the kit. "It's a she kit!" I gasped.

"Two more!" Snow meowed. "Kitty! Get over here! You can get the next one."

Kitty hurried over, and positioned herself near Nut's haunches.

It wasn't long before the second and third kits were out.

"That's it Nut! You did wonderfully!" Snow mewed to the exhausted queen.

"Wow! A tom and a she kit!" Kyla purred.

"Weren't there three?" Nut whispered.

"Yes." I mewed. "One of them didn't make it."

Nut moaned, and dropped her head to the ground. "No..." She whispered.

"I'm so sorry. But at least these two survived." I mewed, looking at the dark brown tom and ginger she cat.

"Brick! Come meet your kits!" Kyla meowed. Brick rushed in.

"Are they all ok? How is Nut? Did she do-" he cut himself off as he saw the tiny brown and white body of the dead kit. "How many didn't make it?" He mewed.

"Just the one. You have a son and a daughter." Snow meowed.

Brick padded over to Nut and looked at the two kits at her belly.

"What will you name them?" Kitty asked.

"I think this one should be Ace." Brick mewed, pointing to the brown tom with his tail.

"Then she can be Sunny." Nut mewed, looking at the ginger she cat.

"The brown and white she kit can be Hope." Brick meowed, looking at the dead kit. "Even though she didn't make it, she can still live on with her spirit."

I gazed at the new family, wondering if Scourge and I could ever be that close.

"Ivy, lets go. Kitty and Kyla can help them back to their den." Scourge mewed, disappearing into the den. I followed, casting one last glance back at the new family.

"Ivy." Scourge mewed once I was in the den. "I need to tell you something."