Chapter 16

Hey everyone. I just wanted to thank you all for reading this far. If you thought this chapter was boring, let me know. It was  alittle longer then my regular chapters. I guess that could be good or bad, depending whether you enjoyed it or not :) let me know.  Also let me know if i should havea  quicky ending or longer one. I have two different ideas. :) let me know. Thanks

Chapter 16

“Daddy, can I see Rebecca now?” Adelaide asked Samuel hopefully.

“She needs her rest now Addy. But I will take you soon, ok?” Samuel said to his daughter tenderly. He knew how much Adelaide wanted to see Rebecca. She missed her. But frankly Samuel did not think it was good for Adelaide to see Rebecca with all her bruises and cuts on her face. Rebecca was still beautiful to him, but to a six year old, (Almost seven according to Adelaide) it could be scary.

“No Daddy! I want to go now. She needs me. Only I can make her smile.” Adelaide’s voice was high, with a temper tantrum brimming at the surface. Samuel could recognize one from a mile away.

“Now Adelaide. There will be none of that. You will let Rebecca rest. You can see her soon, I promise. But not right now. Do I make myself clear, young lady?” Samuel tried to sound stern. It was hard to do when he saw the determination set in her jaw. He almost smiled at her. It did remind him so much of Rebecca. Even if she was not her “mother” Adelaide did pick up a lot of Rebecca’s mannerisms. Without waiting for a reply from Adelaide, Samuel sent her a look and went out the door.    

Surprisingly on the front porch, Edward, William and the sheriff were waiting for Samuel. He looked first at Edward and William with question in his eyes and then turning to the Sheriff Steward Daniels before speaking.

“Afternoon gentlemen. Something I can help you with?” Samuel did not like surprises. He was in no mood to talk with the sheriff. Especially if it was about the good for nothing Richard.

“Good after noon Samuel. May we have a few words with you? I think you know what this is about.” IT was the Sheriff that had spoken. He seemed all business and this was not going to be a friendly conversation.

Sheriff Daniels was two years old then Samuel. They grow up knowing each other but never really being great friends. That was now a regret for Samuel. Who knew that Samuel would need a sheriff on his side? With a sigh Samuel nodded.

“I guess we can talk over by the horse pen.” Samuel reluctantly led them about 10 feet from the house. He did not want Adelaide to hear any part of this conversation.

Adelaide peered through the window after her father. She saw her father and the three men walking away from the house. With a small sly smile Adelaide headed toward Rebecca’s room.

Slowly Adelaide put her ear to the door. She could not hear anything so she pushed the door ever so slightly. She peaked her head into Rebecca’s room and then quickly back out again. Then peaked again and retreated once again.

“Adelaide sweetie, did you want to talk to me?” Rebecca asked gently. She was hesitant because she did not want to frighten Adelaide. But Adelaide was curious and missed her, which Rebecca knew.

“Can I see you?” Adelaide said shyly. She did know what to expect. Her father had gone to great lengths to keep her from seeing Rebecca. But she did not k now why.

“Well honey, I do not look too pretty. But if you want to ok.” She answered reluctantly.

Adelaide slowly opened the door and walked in the room. She had yet to look up Rebecca. She walked to the bed with her eyes still on the floor. Once Adelaide reached the bed, she slowly raised her eyes to see what the big deal was. She wondered why her father and Rebecca were protecting her from.