Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Rebecca’s assumption was correct. She knew Richard would be back. In his hands he was carrying something she could not see clearly. As Richard stepped closer, the object came into view. Rebecca gasps at the sight. She was going to get birched. The branches were bunched together in tight wad, tied together with rope. The branches of the birch seemed fresh. Rebecca cringed at the thought of bring birched.

Richard stormed over to where Rebecca laid. He quickly grabbed her corset and ripped it open. He then took her petticoats and tore them down the seams and tossed them aside. Rebecca was now only in her drawers and chemise. But she remained silent. She had done enough damage already.

Richard had a look on his face that was petrifying. He seemed so angry. Not look at Rebecca, he set about untying her legs. Rebecca was surprised by this. A glimmer of hope shot through her. Once her arms were untied, she could try to get free.

Richard must have read her thoughts. He swiftly put his hand into a fist, pulled back and punched her square in the jaw.

“you will not think of doing anything.” Richard sneered. “You are getting what you deserve.”

“I wont. Why are you doing this to me? What can I do? Please…” Rebecca pleaded. But Richard did not reply. He simply flipped her over on her stomach and began the process of retying. He pulled the ropes so hard that she could no longer feel her wrists or ankles.

Rebecca heard Richard walking toward where he had left the bundle of birch branches. She sobbed in big heaves, while silently begged for this torture to end. But she knew it was only the beginning.

Samuel was utterly surprised how quick William could rustle up the whole town. Everyone was to meet in the library, as it was large enough to house everyone at once. He also demanded everyone must attend. No exceptions.

Samuel wished that he and his grandfather were closer. They never could see eye to eye on much. Since Samuel was a child, he had lived with his grandfather. His father and mother had died in a fire that started in the old library. That was basically why he donated all the money to library. William refused to tell him much about it and over time, Samuel stopped asking.

William disapproved all most of Samuel’s choices in life. Marrying Emily at 17 was his least favorite. When Emily died, William wanted to be a part of Adelaide’s life. So Samuel allowed it because he was the only family Adelaide had. But that was all he allowed. Adelaide would live a modest life. That meant Samuel would earn all the money for them. William would not impose upon their lifestyle.

 Samuel was grateful for William helping him now. He was even grateful that William sent him Rebecca. He came to realize that William was not so bad. Sure he had ulterior motives for everything he ever did, but sometimes it was a win/win for both parties involved.

“Thank you all for coming on such short notice. I am sure you are had responsibilities to see to and for that I do apologize. I know you are all wondering why I have called you all here. You can all stop speculating. I will tell you all shortly. First I want you all to look around. Is everyone here?” William spoke with such power it was hard not to listen.

Everyone looked around their townsfolk. They were whispering and nodding. Looking over and around people trying to make certain everyone was present. Everyone seemed to be there.

“Everyone here then?” William spoke breaking up the survey.

“Seems like it Sir.” A brave gentleman spoke up from deep within the crowd.

“Good. Then let us begin, shall we. I am sure you all know my grandson Samuel Adams. Most of you know that he has hired a governess to tend to Adelaide.” William paused to ensure the crowd was still with him. “Well she has gone missing this morning. No, she did not run away. There is no reason to believe that. She visited Mrs. Braxton this morning at this very library. Now can anyone tell us something that can help us find her? We believe she is grave danger. To Whom has any information leading us to her recovery will be rewarded quite handsomely.”