chapter 3

Chapter 3

The morning came far too quickly for Rebecca’s liking. She was to be soon handed off to a man, to save a house. A house she was not allowed back into for six years. Yes, this was going to be a great day. Rebecca did what she did every single morning. She washed in her basin, selected a gown and started the whole procedure of getting dressed. Today, Rebecca decided on a black gown. She thought it was fitting, seeing as though she was mourning. She was mourning for her once wonderful life.

After she finished putting all her articles and gown on, she put her hair high up in a tight bun. Then pinned the long veil over her head. She threw on a shawl and went downstairs.

"Good morning, angel." Normand said as he was watching his daughter enter the breakfast nook. “Being a little dramatic, aren't we, dear?" He smiled slightly and returned to his newspaper. He was going to miss her spirit, that’s for sure. Rebecca had spunk to say the least. 

Sara came to the breakfast nook and quietly interrupted their last breakfast together, “Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Adams is here for you, Shall I send him in?” She asked shyly. Normand hated being interrupted during his meals.

“Why, yes Sara, Do send him in.” He responded quite cheerful. That put a smile on her face. Obviously, Normand wanted Rebecca gone as much as everyone else did.

“Really Daddy? Can he not wait outside until I am finished? After all, he is the early one.” Rebecca practically whined.

“NO Rebecca, he cannot wait outside. And you better show Mr. Adams respect. Do you hear me? If you do not do as you are told, we will lose the house anyway and this will all be for nothing.” Normand said sternly. 

Rebecca did not reply. She just sat in her chair and sulked. Frankly she did not care if they lost their house. It was her father’s fault anyway. Now she had to pay the price. But she could not voice that. Instead she just stared at her father, knowing he would understand the look.

Moments later, Sir Samuel Adams walked through the door. Rebecca refused to look up at him. She did not care about this man and was not giving him the time of day. Samuel walked over and took a seat directly across from Rebecca.

“Good Morning Mr. Armstrong. Nice to see you again.” His voice was smooth and deep with a hint of a southern drawl. “Good morning Miss. Armstrong.” With that, Rebecca abruptly got up from her chair, almost causing it to tip.

“Excuse me, I have a few things to do before I am taken away.” She walked away without glancing at either man at the table and exited the breakfast nook.

“So I see Miss Armstrong is not going to make this easy on me, is she?” Samuel declared when Rebecca was out of the room.

“She will be no trouble Mr. Adams, I have spoken with her already. She just needs time to adjust. This is new for her. She only found out yesterday.” Normand replied coolly.

“But you have known about this arrangement for over two months now, Sir.” Samuel said not even pleased with this information. This meant that Rebecca would take out all this anger on him and that really was not fair. After all, this was not even his idea. But with a slow sigh he spoke again. “Well we must be going then. I will make due with her unhappy disposition. Hopefully she will be content at my farm stead one day.” 

With that being said, Samuel stood up and shocked Mr. Armstrong’s hand. They both left to find Rebecca. They happened to find her sitting on a trunk in the foyer, waiting impatiently for the men to be finished. She was tapping her foot on the floor with her arms crossed in front of her chest. The sight of her made Samuel smile. She was beautiful and was going to be a handful, he thought.

Rebecca took this moment to look at her new “owner”. He was tall and lean but with broad shoulders. He was wearing a pair of brown slacks and a white button down shirt. His clothes were neat and clean but did not look of a man able to afford to pay for this house, she thought. She then looked at his face. His short light brown hair. It looked like he was in the sun a lot. She imagined it was naturally darker. Upon his tanned face, was a well-defined jaw line that had been cleanly shaven. His eyes however, are what startled her with curiosity. They were a dark grey color. It seemed like they would change color in the sunlight.

Rebecca looked away quickly. She could not afford to be attracted to this man. She downright refused. This man was stealing her away from her home and making her become a slave. As far she was concerned, he could have four heads or be a Greek god. Either way, She would be indifferent toward him.  

“Is this all that you are bringing Miss Armstrong?” Samuel asked sarcastically, as he looked at the four very large trunks she was intending to bring alone. He was surprised she managed to bring them down. Judging on how red her face was, it was clearly difficult for her. Why did she not ask for help? Was she really that stubborn?  Little did he know, she had asked the maids for help but they were suddenly nowhere to be found.

“Well Sir, I can go get more if you would like?” She commented as she matched his sarcastic tone.

“I think this will do Miss. Armstrong.” He said laughing slightly at her. She should keep things interesting around the farm, he thought.

-----

They made their way out to the waiting carriage . The carriage was not something Rebecca had been expecting. In fact, there was no carriage. There was a wagon drawn by two horses sitting in front of their mansion. This was not the type of vehicle that Rebecca was accustomed to. She had never even been in a wagon before! 

Looking up at Samuel with a look of shock and disgust, she let out a sigh and headed toward the wagon. She knew Samuel and her father were waiting for a reaction. However, she was not going to give them the satisfaction.

Normand and Samuel started to load the trunks into the back of the wagon. They all fit nice and comfortably. She would not have to worry about losing one on the side of the road somewhere. That was definitely reassuring.  She was not going to admit that this wagon was a practical solution. Instead of saying a word at all, she attempted to climb up on to the bench. Her huge mourning gown was making this mission next to impossible. That is when she felt two very strong hands hoist her up on the bench.

Samuel silently admired her determination. Not to mention he appreciated the feel of her tiny waist in his hands. And the sweet smell of her perfume wafting back into his face. Also the way her beautiful black hair broke free from her tight bun and was blowing in the breeze. He realized that this girl was going to be difficult for him to manage. Maybe this was not such a great idea he thought soberly.

All of Rebecca’s belongings were now aboard the wagon and they were set to hit the road. Rebecca sat there quietly staring at her hands. She did not look up at her father once. That surprised Samuel. She was not angry with him. She was angry with her father. That actually gave him hope that this was not the worst idea ever. There was a chance that they could get along just fine. Samuel took the reins and began their journey.

-----