Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Rebecca woke up earlier than usual this morning. She decided she would get the water. Eggs and milk before Samuel woke up. She would start breakfast and go into town. She had to return her books to the library and pick up some odds and ends. It was Samuel’s birthday today and she wanted to do something special. He was turning 25 and he would be only be 25 once.

They had gotten really close lately.  They spent a lot of time talking and getting to know each other. Rebecca was extremely attractive to Samuel. Every time he came near her, heart would skip a few beats and speed up so fast she thought it would beat out of her chest. Every touch (which lately seemed to be a lot) would send her body into overdrive causing her to want more. His kisses were like a drug to her. She felt herself needing them every time she saw him.      

So Rebecca achieved what she had wanted this morning and was on her way to town. She did not take the wagon because she could not set up the horses to it. Instead she opted for the Gig. It was a carriage that could be drawn by one horse. Samuel rarely used it because when he went into town he needed to haul objects to and from. So it was not ideal for him. But for Rebecca it was small and light. She did not need help with the horses or help steering it. It was perfect.

Rebecca arrived in town shortly. It was a brisk morning and she was thankful she brought her shawl.  But finally the sun was coming out and warming the air. Rebecca went to the library first.

“Good morning Evelyn. How are you this morning?” Rebecca asked interested in hearing an answer. Evelyn Braxton was the librarian. Evelyn was a very nice older lady with grey hair. She always wore it on a bun. She wore spectacles on the bridge of her nose. Evelyn was always kind to Rebecca. She would even give her tips on cooking which Rebecca desperately needed.

“Oh I am lovely, Thank you dear. My, you are early today? I was not expecting you till this afternoon like usual.” Evelyn said curiously. Rebecca came to the library every Monday afternoon.

“Yes I have some things to pick up. It is Mr. Adams birthday today. So I need to get some things for dinner.” Rebecca smiled with obvious affection for Samuel. Evelyn noticed as well but never commented.

“Very well dear. Have a good day then.” She nodded a Rebecca clearly sending her on way. Another thing Rebecca liked about Evelyn. She was blunt. If she did not like something, she would tell you. Rebecca found it humorous and admirable.

Rebecca dropped off her old books and checked out 2 more. One was a book for Adelaide to read and the other was a book on farming. Rebecca she should understand more about the farm in case Samuel fell ill or a day or so. It would be good to know.

“Well looky here. If it ain’t Miss Armstrong… I have been thinking about you.” The dark haired, sleazy man came from the alley beside the library. Great! Just what she needed! Rebecca thought.

“Good day Sir. But I am afraid I was just leaving.” Rebecca stated trying to remain polite even though she hated this man. She terrified her like she has never known before.

“Not today you aint. You owe me an apology for getting me hit by that boss of yours. We were just talking and he goes and punches me.” Richard said with a scowl on his.

“I do not owe you anything Mr. Crass. You got yourself punched in the face. And frankly if you do not leave me alone, I am likely to do the same.” Rebecca declared. She did not have time for these games today. She really did not want to be around this guy.

“Is that any way for a lady to talk?” Richard said amused.

“Well honestly I do not feel like a lady around you. You make feel insulted and disrespected. IS that any way a lady should be treated?” Rebecca retorted. She did not wait for his answer. “Now excuse me Mr. Crass, I am leaving now. She stated without question. She stepped toward the Gig and was about to climb up when Richard grabber her arm and pulled her toward him.

“Oh no you aint Nemmo. You are staying here with me.” Richard said with disgust with the idea of Rebecca leaving.

 “Mr. Adams is finishing up in the hardware store and should be out soon. Do you want another punch in the face?” She tried to bluff him. Perhaps he would leave her alone. But that only drew a colossal laugh from deep within his throat. The sound was not a friendly laugh. It was actually sounded evil.

“Do you think I don’t know you are here all alone? You think I did not see you riding in all proper on your little gig here?” He blatantly announced. This caused fear to bubble in Rebecca.

“Well regardless if he is here or not. I am not continuing this conversation with you. I will be truthful with you Mr. Crass. I do not like you.” She said trying to sound confident. She knew that it would not matter if she liked him or not. He was not leaving.

“NO matter to me. But you are not leaving.” With that Richard pulled her away from the gig and around the corner of library. Rebecca tried to struggle away from him but his grip on her arm was like a vice made of steel.

“Unhand me Mr. Crass.” Rebecca shouted as loud as she could. She hoped that someone would hear her and help her. Still trying to pull away, she started screaming. “HELP!!! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!”

 Richard quickly pushed her against the wall in the alley and put his hand over her mouth to muffle her screams. He used his body to press her against the wall. She managed to get a hand free and swung it up toward Richards’s awful face. She realized that he had a long scare over his eye and down to his mouth. His eyes were dark and filled with something she did not recognize. But she was scared of it.

She hit the side of his jaw but he did not seem to care. Her futile attempt was useless. He did not even flinch. She tried to kick him but he had her legs held back with his. Suddenly Rebecca’s vision started to blur. She was getting woozy and felt herself drifting. “What was happening to me” She thought. Then her world went black and she slumped over letting Richard carry her away.