Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Rebecca lay sound asleep in the back of the carriage. She was lying in the middle in between both benches so she’d have plenty of room to rest. There were many blankets and pillows under her to make the ride much more comfortable. The sedative put in her tea probably was helping the most. Samuel put in to make sure she slept on the way. He was concerned that if she did not sleep properly, she would not heal well.

Samuel had a destination in mind thanks to William. They were heading west to Mississippi where William had another property. It was his secret get away. William would escape quite often throught out the year. Samuel had only heard of it in passing. Once pressed on the subject, William would quickly change the subject.

Within the envelope were directions to the mysterious property in Mississippi along with the keys and a generous sum of five hundred dollars for any unexpected expenses. Samuel would try not to use much of it but he knew things cost money and he did not have much of it. Luckily Iris had packed food for them. It was at least enough for three days worth.

Everything was happening so quickly. As he was steering the carriage toward William’s property, it gave him time to reflect on all the things that had and were currently happening. He knew that since he had met Rebecca his world had turned upside down. But he would not have changed a thing. None of this was her fault. If anything, she was the victim in all this. That only made him want to protect her even more.

Samuel pulled the team off the trail on to a path that led to a river and very nice shaded area of trees. It was getting late and he thought they could set up their tent and sleep right by the beautiful river. He jumped down from the bench and opened the doors of the carriage. He was surprised to find Rebecca awake and sitting up in the bench. He was so lost in his own thoughts; he had not even heard her moving around in the back of carriage.

“Well good day Miss Armstrong.” Samuel smiled up at Rebecca. He was mesmerized by the sight of her hair free falling around hair around her face and shoulders. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, adding to the radiant beauty that was Rebecca.

She had opted not to wear a corset, as it only irritated the wounds on her back. She only had a chemise and light gown. Through the lightness of the material, her nipples were hard. It was either from the cold air rushing into the carriage when he opened the doors or it was from the sight of him appearing at the doors.  He was unsure but clearly hoped it was the latter.

“Care for something to eat?” Samuel asked sweetly. Rebecca was slightly uncomfortable about what she was wearing or lack thereof but she nodded acceptance anyway. Samuel reached his hand up to help her down from the carriage. As soon as their hands touched, sparks passed through his fingers. Just like he knew it would. It was a spark he came to expect but could never get used to. It was a rush every single time.

Without another word, he slowly brought her to sit on the bank by the river. Once she was seated, Samuel ran toward the carriage for food and a blanket. He returned quickly and set up their little picnic. Sitting down next to her made his heart quicken. He loved being with her. When got to touch to her, his whole world seemed complete.

“You are very beautiful Rebecca. I just wanted to tell you that.” Samuel said shyly looking into her eyes. Rebecca quickly turned away, as her face was as red as a tomato.

“So where are we heading?” She tried changing the subject. She still was not used to all this attention from a gorgeous man. It all felt too surreal to her.

“Well Mississippi actually. William has a property there and we should be safe there.” Samuel stated still starring longingly at Rebecca.

“MISSISSIPPI? We have to go all the way to Mississippi?” Rebecca was not amused. She did not see the point in leaving their home, let alone Alabama.