chapter 10

Chapter10

Rebecca was standing at the sink doing the lunch dishes, when Samuel came into the kitchen. She kept her back her back to him. He walked up behind Rebecca and put his arms around her waist. He pulled her closer to his chest and started kissing the back of her neck. This sent shock waves of pleasure through her. She could not even think straight.

Samuel would steal kisses whenever he could. Rebecca did not mind one single bit. Right now Adelaide was playing outside with her dolls. It was a perfect opportunity. He kept kissing her neck but he was now moving his hands in slow tantalizing circles on her stomach. Rebecca let out a moan of satisfaction. Everything was tingling where Samuel touched. She felt Samuel’s hardness pressing into her backside. Her she felt her drawers getting moist from excitement.

Suddenly Samuel pulled away. Rebecca did not realize she was not breathing until she felt dizzy. She gripped the counter tightly until she regained her composure. Samuel had this affect over her. Always making her feel woozy and wonderful all at the same time.

“Good after noon Miss Armstrong.” Samuel said mocking their lack formality.

“And to you Sir.” Rebecca replied with the same mockery but yet still not able to look at him.

“A messenger came with this for you today.” Out of his pocket he pulled out a letter addressed to Miss Rebecca Armstrong. Rebecca looked at it and recognized it was from her father. She took the letter and put it aside, shrugging her shoulders in the process. This surprised Samuel. He was expecting her to be excited about receiving word from her father. She actually seemed more annoyed then anything.

“Everything ok Darling?” Samuel asked with genuine concern.

“yes of course. Why would it not be?” Rebecca gave Samuel a smile that did not quite meet her eyes. She clearly was not pleased with receiving this letter from her father. She was still angry with him for using her to save his own life.

But Samuel did not want to infringe on personal matters with her father. Even if he did not much like her father, or hopefully soon to be father in law, it was not his place. He hoped one day she would feel comfortable enough to confide in him. For now he would not pry.

 He walked back over to her and kissed the back of head. He lingered there for awhile, taking in her smell. It was a smell he could never get enough of. It was like a drug to him.

“OK, I will leave you be but I am here if you need me.” HE said reassuringly before he walked out the door.

Rebecca glanced at the letter. She had no idea why she was not pleased with getting this letter from her father. She thought she loved her father. He meant the world to her. Then he sold her to pay for his gambling debts. He did not even ask her. He just used her as pond in his game. She lost a lot of respect for him. She doubted she could ever get back even a fraction of it.

Rebecca decided she would read the letter later. She left it on the table and continued doing her chores. Today Rebecca was going to finish a gift she was making for Adelaide. She was making her a gown. Adelaide always loved Rebecca’s gowns. She thought she looked like a princess.

Rebecca altered her cotton violet gown with lace trim to fit Adelaide’s small frame. She then ensured that hoop petticoat fit properly. The gown was simple but beautiful. It was one of Rebecca’s favorites until she wrecked the hem from dragging it on the ground. Rebecca wrecked most of her gowns because she did not wear the hoop petticoats anymore. They only got in her way.  

She was just finishing the final touches when Adelaide came running through the door. “Rebecca Rebecca, Daddy is taking us out for supper. At a real restaurant. Where people sit and some man brings the food to you. A real Restaurant, Rebecca.” Adelaide exclaimed excitedly. She practically ran into Rebecca, sitting at her sewing machine.

“That’s great sweetheart and I have something for you too.” Rebecca smiled at Adelaide and handed her the gown she had just finished.

“Is this for me?” Adelaide asked with shock on her face. She slowly reached out for the dress as if it were a dream. There was no way she had gown just like the princesses wore.

“oh course sweetheart. I made it out of one of mine. I hope you like it.” Rebecca said to an awe struck little girl. This made her heart beam with pride and joy. “Go try it on and we will see if I have to make any altercations before tonight’s supper.” Adelaide smiled happily and ran off to do just that.

Rebecca was putting away all of her sewing supplies when she was reminded of the letter from her father. She could not put it off any longer. How bad could it be? She asked herself. So she grabbed the letter, sat down, took a deep breath and opened the letter:

     Dearest Rebecca,

I am sorry for the way things turned out. I wish I did have to give you away to help pay my debts. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

But the reason I am writing you is because I am in trouble. I need you to help. I need $8500 by the beginning of the month or I will be dead.

I would not ask you if it were not important. I know you get a small wage and Mr. Adams has money. Well his grandfather does and I am sure if you asked he would lend it you.

You could work a few more years to pay it back.

Please help your father. I know you will do the right thing. You have always had a heart of gold.

                                                                                                    Sincerely Normand Armstrong

Rebecca put the letter down and began to weep. Tears were streaming down her face. She knew she should have never read it. Her father sells her to pay his debts, then writes months later to ask for more money. He does not even write on her 16th birthday. But now she has to give him all the money she saved and even ask her employers for more. Worst part is he does not even tell her he loves her. He felt so lonely and sad.

Tears were coming uncontrollably now. She did not even see Samuel walk through the door. He ran to her and kneeled down in front of her. He saw the letter opened on the table.

 His heart broke at the sight of her. She held her face in her hands. Sobs racked her body, making her whole body shake. Samuel wrapped his arms around her without saying anything. HE just held her until she sobs subsided. For that Rebecca was grateful. How could she explain that her father did not love her? He did not miss her. He just wanted more money from her to gamble with. Clearly he had not learned his lesson the last time. She did not want Samuel to feel sorry for her.

SO instead, Samuel waited for Rebecca to come to him. Even though it killed him inside. HE kissed Rebecca on top of the head

“I am going to clean up for supper. Did Adelaide tell you we are going out?” he asked trying to sound like he was not broken up about seeing her cry.

“yes she did. That sounds lovely, Samuel, thank you. I’ll be ready in a little bit.” Rebecca responded grateful for the distraction.

“Well I have to keep my girls happy, don’t I?” He smirked and left the kitchen. That statement made Rebecca smile wide. She was one of his girls. That made her so happy. The happiest she had ever felt.

Adelaide looked so pretty in her new gown. Her smile was so radiant. She twirled around and around in the kitchen for Samuel to see how it lovely it was. Rebecca put Adelaide’s hair up in a light bun. She did not want to make her too grown up. She was still only a child.

Rebecca looked lovely as well. She kept it simple with an ivory gown with beaded embellishments. Her hair was curls and put loosely up, head by pins. Some of her black hair was left out framing her stunning eyes. Both girls looked so great, but Rebecca stole his breath yet again. She never seized to amaze him. They were all going to have a good evening.