chatper 2

Chapter 2

Rebecca threw herself on her bed face first. She started to scream into her pillow and loud as she could. She was kicking her legs and pounding her fists into the mattress.  Rebecca was utterly applauded by this. She had to be a slave to some rich man. Sure her father said she was a servant. But everyone knew what that meant. That meant she was a whore to this man. She would have to do whatever he wanted her to do and clearly that would be having terrible sex with him. She would have to clean up after and him. And that was horrible. Rebecca began to sob uncontrollably. Her father had sold her. How could he do that? Was she something that could be just ponded off to pay gambling debts? Was she an object? How much was she worth? Clearly her father had not loved her the way she had thought.

 Rebecca must have fallen asleep from all the crying. She woke up hours later with her eyes all puffy and her gown was all wrinkled. She slowly got up from bed and tried to straighten out her gown. “This is no way for a lady to look.” She scolded herself. Samuel Adams was coming in the morning. She had a lot to pack and not much time.

 Rebecca found two of her trunks and dragged them toward her wardrobe. She started taking all her gown out and putting them in the trunk. The first trunk got filled quite quickly. Next trunk was for her petticoats and such. She was not going to be a slave in rags. She told herself. She had beautiful gowns that will not be wasted or sold by her father’s liking. Seeing as he liked to sell things that did not belong to him, she did not doubt he would.

She needed more trunks. She went into her father’s bedroom and took two of his. "He won’t be needing these besides it’s the least he could do. Sellout..." Rebecca said out loud with an evil laugh. She was bound to make her father pay for this. She dragged the trunks back to her room. "Why am I doing this? I still have servants for one more day before I become one" at that thought, she ran out of her room

"SARA, SARA GET UP HERE NOW!" Rebecca demanded from the top of the landing.

"Yes ma'am?" Sara replied from a room down the hall. Apparently she was cleaning one of the rooms next to Rebecca’s.

"You were up here the whole time? Why did you not come sooner? Clearly you heard me needing assistance. Sometimes I think you are the dumbest maid we have." Rebecca let out an exaggerated   sigh. "I need help packing. My father sold me like I was good for nothing slave."

That comment caused Sara to smirk as she made her way to Rebecca’s room. Sara quickly started packing where Rebecca had left off.

"I’ll be back shortly Sara. I expect all my belongings packed by the time I get back and don’t steal anything." Rebecca snarled as she left the room. Sara smiled when Rebecca was entirely out of sight.  Sara crept out into the hall.

"pssst, Camille. Come in here" Sara whispered quietly so no one, especially Rebecca would hear. Camille came into the room and shut the door behind her.

"What does that spoiled cow want now?" Camille asked with her voice dripping with disdain for their hostess

"Mr. Armstrong sold her. Can you believe it? The witch leaves tomorrow. he sold her as if she was a slave. She'll finally get what  she deserves. What she needs these gowns for is beyond me. There will be no balls where she is going, at least she won’t be a guest anyway." Sara said as she started laughing uncontrollably. Camille joined in on the laughing

"God can you see her cleaning a water closet, she'll die, I am sure of it. They probably don’t even running water where is going. She won’t even make it a week." Camille added in-between laughter fits.

From outside the door, Rebecca had heard their whole conversation. She hadn’t realized the maids hated her so much. But could she blame them? Look at the way she treated them. Now she was one. This was getting worse by the second. Rebecca took a long breathe and then entered her room.

"What is going on here? Is this a party? Sara, are you that incompetent that you can’t pack a measly few gowns by yourself. No wonder you are a servant, Sara." Rebecca shouted. She didn’t want to say that to Sara. But what could she do? Apologize for being horrible to her for as long as could remember? That she now understood what it felt like? No way. Rebecca still had pride. Or at least she was pretending she did.

The morning came far too quickly for Rebecca’s liking. She was to be soon handed off to a man, to save a house. A house she was not allowed back into for 6 years. Yes this was going to be a great day. Rebecca did what she did every single morning. She washed in het basin. Selected a gown and started the whole procedure of getting dressed. Today Rebecca decided on a black gown. She thought it was fitting, seeing ad though she was mourning

 She was mourning her once wonderful life.

After she finished putting all articles and gown on, she put her hair high up in a tight bun. Then pinned the long Vail over her head. She threw on a shawl and went downstairs.

"Good morning angel." Normand said as he was watching his daughter enter the breakfast nook. “being a little dramatic aren’t we dear." He smiled slightly and returned to his newspaper. He was going to miss her spirit, that’s for sure. Rebecca had spunk to say the least.