Chapter 1

Lauren goes downstairs to watch television in the living room. "Hey Lauren, you finally came out of your room." said mom.
"Yeah..." she takes a seat next to mom on the sofa "what's on TV?" Mom flips through the channels.
"Nothing much....Oh yeah, I almost forgot Donna Summer's performing tonight!" mom squeals.
"Really? Where at?"

*The American Bandstand theme song plays*

♪We're goin' hoppin
We're goin' hoppin today
Where things are poppin
The Philadelphia way
We're gonna drop in
On all the music they play
On the Bandstand (Bandstand)♪

"Hey mom, whe-" someone knocks on the door.

"I got it" Lauren gets up to go answer it, and it's Dad.

"Hey sweetheart!" he leans down and kisses her cheek.

"Hi daddy, how was work?"

"Pretty good, I'm off for the next two days so you know what that means." he shut the door and took off his coat to hang it up.

"Ummm...no, what does that mean?" She follows him to the kitchen.

"It means I get to spend some time with my baby girl." he goes to the refrigerator pulling out a can of Coke.

"Oh...right." she smiles, leaning against the counter.

"Yep, so what have you been up to today?" he asks, taking a seat at the table.

"Oh nothing....just sitting in my room, bored as usual" looks down at her feet.

"Bored? You haven't made any new friends yet? This is a pretty decent neighborhood, I'm sure there are plenty of teenagers around here your age." he takes a sip of his drink.

"Yeah, I know, and I have made a-well, I wouldn't say I made new friends yet, but I did meet this girl the other day, she seems really cool."

He smiles, "That's good sweetie, you don't have to stay in your room all day, go out, make new friends, have fun...as long as it isn't too much fun" Lauren smiles back.

"Yeah, I know and I will meet more people soon...ya know, I'm actually starting to like it here dad."

He gets up and gives her a pat on the back, "I'm glad" he drinks down the rest of the soda "Where's your mom?"

"She's in the living room watching TV" I tell him and he goes into the living room and chats with her.

Lauren's POV

I go back upstairs to my bedroom and get ready for bed since its past 9 p.m. I usually stay up really late, past 12 a.m., especially during the summer when I don't have school. But that might just change, I'm turning 18 in a few more days, and I plan on getting a job for the first time. So that means I'm gonna have to start going to bed on time and waking up really early in the morning, which sucks. But I can't stay in my parents' house forever! I have to start making my own money so I can move out and live on my own...which kinda scares me due to the fact that I can't imagine living by myself. Gosh, I have to find a boyfriend really soon...or maybe a good friend that'll be my roommate, yeah that'll be good enough.

Also college is right around the corner-geez! I won't have any time to talk to my friends, hang out with them or go out. I just hope mom and dad don't have any intentions of kicking me out soon since I'm growing up. Time really flies by so fast! I'm the youngest out of all my siblings, yet I'm starting to feel like the oldest...well dad still treats me like a baby sometimes; I guess that's what dads are supposed to do. Mom on the other hand, she's harder on me, not in a bad way, but she wants me to be prepared for my life ahead of me, she sees a bright future for me, and so do I. I guess I'll just keep faith in myself and strive for the best. I have so much to think about, I guess I better get going to bed so I can ease my mind a bit. Let's see what tomorrow brings, hopefully everything goes well.