Chap 8 "Dreams Come True"

Blake's POV
"You're welcome," I smiled. I hugged her. "DJ, play the music." I got Haylee up as Song About You by After Romeo started playing. "Do you wanna dance?" I got the check from her and handed it to Nick. I grabbed her hands and put them around my neck. I hugged her and we slow danced. I smiled. I could hear her sniffling. "Hey." I looked at her as she looked at me. "Don't cry." I wiped her tears away with my thumb. She put her hand over her mouth as I laid my head on her shoulder. "You deserve this."
"You're the best, Blake," she replied. I spun her around and pulled her close again. "Thank you so much, again."
"You're welcome," I whispered in her ear. The song ended. I grabbed her hand and gave her a kiss on her hands. "The night is yours."
"Thank you so much," Haylee smiled.
"I want you to promise me something," I smiled. She nodded. "Promise me you'll have fun tonight, okay? I wanna see all the pictures from tonight. I have to go but promise me, okay?"
"I promise," Haylee nodded.
"Alright, I'll see you later," I smiled. More people piled onto the dance floor and I left. I looked at the camera in front of me. "So, Haylee is having a great time. I know she had a good time at the beginning."
"Why did you do this?" the cameraman asked.
"Her dad has nominated her," I nodded. "He's been in and out of the hospital since she was about fourteen. So those medical bills are just piling up." I smiled. "She maybe a model but we all have it hard. I'm just glad I was able to let her experience her prom at least this time." I sighed. "Uhm, yeah and she's beautiful." I looked at the camera. "I just wanted to shed some light on her. She'll be twenty two in a couple hours and her relationship with Hector was thrown away. So, seeing her happy definitely made me happy and Nick happy as well."

Nick's POV
Blake left as more people piles onto the dance floor. Haylee walked over to me. "You must be really happy," I smiled.
"Yeah," Haylee nodded. I handed her the check. "This is really nice of him." Haylee pulled me outside and we started walking. "This check will cover all of my dad's medical expenses. My dad should be getting out tomorrow." I looked at her. "Come with me." I went to a room at the hospital with her. She paid the expenses at the nurses station before we went to the room. "This is my dad."
"Haylee?" her dad asked.
"It's me," Haylee replied as she pulled me with her over to his bed. "You finally get to go home tomorrow."
"You look so much like your mother," her dad replied. He looked at her. "Is that your prom dress?"
"Yeah," Haylee chuckled.
"Who's the handsome man standing next to you?" her dad asked.
"Detective Nick Amaro, sir," I replied as I stood next to Haylee. "It's nice to meet you."
"He's my hires security," Haylee nodded. "And Hector is no longer with me." She looked at her dad. "I'll be back tomorrow to pick you up." I followed Haylee out of the hospital. "That's my dad."
"Is he okay?" I asked.
"Most of his brain is gone," Haylee sighed. "The doctors gave him electro-shock therapy and it just kept eating at his brain." She looked at me. "If he had gone through four or five more sessions, he would be a vegetable." I sighed. "And he'll be on life support. So, I had to stop them. If I didn't, I wouldn't have my dad right now." We walked into her penthouse. "They would've killed my dad. It just made him worse than it did better."
We walked I to the kitchen and a candle-lit dinner was waiting for us. "Nick?" Haylee questioned.
"Someone forgot to mention that tomorrow is their birthday," I smiled as I pulled out a chair. Haylee sat down. I sat down next to her. "Now, how can you forget something that big?"
"I never celebrated ever since I was fourteen and I never even had a sweet sixteen," Haylee replied. "So, I had no intention of celebrating my twenty second."
"Well, you are," I smiled. We had dinner and the clock struck midnight. "Happy birthday, Haylee." She looked at me and smiled. "You okay?"
"Thank you, Nick," Haylee replied. "You are just an amazing person overall."
"We should go to sleep," I nodded.
"You should," Haylee nodded. "I have a song to sing."
"No work," I smiled as I pulled her to the couch. I sat down and sat her next to me with my arm around her. "You're not supposed to do anything on your birthday but get your dad out of the hospital."
"I have to go to the precinct tomorrow," Haylee replied. "Detectives don't get a day off for their birthday."
"I don't know about that," I nodded.