Chap 4 "Third Wheel"

Nick's POV
I went to the precinct after Haylee was taken in the box. "Hey guys," I sighed as I sat down.
"Did you forget Haylee?" Amanda asked.
"No, she's going to be on Ellen," I replied. Olivia turned on the TV. "See?"
"How'd you know?" Finn asked.
"I just do," I nodded.
"Who's the man candy?" Olivia asked about the guy on TV.
"He's a power ranger," Amanda replied. "I see him on Nickelodeon when I'm babysitting the kids. They watch it all the time."
"Okay," Ellen's voice came from the TV. "Being in a long distant relationship is a bit hard. How'd you guys manage to keep it together?"
"When you believe in someone, it's forever," Haylee smiled on the TV. "He's an actor and I'm a model. It comes with the territory."
"Turn it off," I replied. Olivia just muted the TV. "Why didn't she tell me."
"Nick, he's been gone a long time," Olivia replied. "He wasn't always around."
"I think a boyfriend was a bit big to leave out of the picture," I nodded.
"Guys, something's going on," Amanda replied as she took the TV off mute. "Guys, we should get down there."
Gunshots were heard and my cell rang. I ran out to my car while answering my cell. "Nick Amaro," I replied as I flipped the lights and sirens on. "Hello?"
"Nick!" Haylee screamed. Shots were still being fired. "Hurry!"
"I'm coming as fast as I can!" I exclaimed.
"Hector, put pressure on her wound," Haylee replied. "We need a bus! She's going into shock!"
I hung up and grabbed my radio. "Liv, we need a bus at the studio," I replied. "One has been shot. I repeat, one has been shot." I got to the studio and ran inside. It seemed to have been over with. "Help is on the way." I looked around and couldn't find Haylee. "Haylee!" I called.
"Back here," Haylee stood up from behind the couch. I walked over to her. "We are trying to slow the bleeding down." She kneeled down. "Keep pressure on it, Ellen."
"Is an ambulance on the way?" Hector asked.
"Yeah," I nodded. Haylee grabbed the radio from me. "Double check it."
"SVU portable to central, I need a bus at the Ellen studio," Haylee sighed.
"Five minutes out," a guy replied.
"Why don't you two get out of here and get cleaned up?" I suggested. "I see that the two of you could use a goodnight rest." Haylee nodded. Hector got up and walked out with Haylee. The medics arrived and took Ellen to the hospital. "Can today get any worse?"
"Nick, were you the first to arrive?" Olivia asked.
"Yeah, why?" I asked.
"They wanna talk to the detective at or on the scene," Olivia nodded. "It'll be alright."
"If they wanna talk to someone, I can't," I nodded. "I wasn't the first one on the scene. Haylee was. They have to talk to Haylee first." I sighed. "I gotta go."

Hector's POV
We got to Haylee's penthouse. We showered and got in bed but Haylee sat up against her headboard. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked.
"Hector, I keep thinking about the shooting," Haylee replied. I sat up and looked at her. "I mean, I didn't get hit because I leaned over to kiss your cheek." She looked at me. "If I'm correct, that bullet would've pierced my right lung, causing it to collapse. What if I'm the target?"
"What makes you so sure?" I asked.
"That was the first shot," Haylee nodded. "It hit the couch."
"You're thinking too much," I sighed.
"No, I'm not," Haylee nodded. She got out of bed. I followed her to the kitchen. "Hector, I know this." She got a glass of water as Nick walked in. "I'm not stupid."
"I'm not saying you are," I replied. "I'm saying your field -"
"I have a bachelors in criminal justice and I am a detective," Haylee replied. "Of course I would know half of the things I know, Hector."
"Uhm, Haylee?" Nick asked. She looked at him. "They want to ask you a few questions tomorrow in the conference room."
"Yeah, I know," Haylee sighed. "Because I was the only detective on the scene." Nick made himself comfortable on the couch. "How else would you like me to put the fact that maybe I could've been the one to have been shot?"
"You got shot?" Nick asked.
"First shot didn't hit me like they had planned," Haylee nodded.
"She's over exaggerating the scene," I replied. "The first shot hit the couch. Barely requires any investigation."
"Meaning you could've been the target," Nick nodded.
"Thank you," Haylee sighed. She drank her whole glass of water. "Nick, what do we do if I am the target?"
"Well, to have my ass covered, I'm not taking any chances," Nick nodded. "Both of you, pack a bag. We're going to the precinct."
"Is that a good idea?" I asked.
"You got any better ideas?" Nick asked.
"How about a co-worker place or a hotel?" I asked. "Something more suitable than an office."
"We can't," Haylee nodded as she grabbed her duffel bag from the living room closet. She put the bag on the couch. "That will probably be the first place the shooter will check." I looked at Haylee. "The last place they will check is the department bunkers."
"Let's go," Nick replied. I grabbed my backpack and Haylee's bag. We got in Nick's car and he drove us to the precinct. We walked inside. "Haylee, you know where everything is."
"Yeah," Haylee nodded. "Come on, Hector." We walked to the bunkers. "Just choose a bed." She chose one. "This one is mine."
"When did you become a detective?" I asked. She looked at me. "Eyes only, need-to-know basis. Got it."
"Yeah," Haylee nodded. "Let's get some sleep and find out what's going on tomorrow morning."
"Okay," I sighed laying on a bed. "Better than being killed."