The Battle.

General Hevman, now fully armed, rushed through the corridors, slicing every slefah he could.  He  cut down the giant snakes and...let the cyclopses deal with the ogres.  Though the ogres swung their giant battle maces, sending cyclopses flying against the walls, they made no dent in the cyclopses' armor.  The ogres were soon overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

The cyclopses had been shooting red beams from their swords, but it seemed that this accidental spell wore off, for now they couldn't.  Now all they had were fancy swords, but they still cut down everything that got in their way.

The human magicians that were still alive fought as well, and the human soldiers did too.  They were taking the castle from the inside out.  Soon, all that was left would be Hurvun.  As the general sliced the head off of a slefah, he wondered how Leevan was doing on that front.

Hurvun snarled, and unleashed a bolt of lightning at Leevan.  It was hardly a bolt though, it was more like a stream of lightning that didn't let up.  Leevan had trouble standing his ground.  The armor absorbed the blast, but Leevan felt his armor getting hotter.  He wouldn't last long if Hurvun kept this up.

He heard clinking behind him.  Either Kemra or Maelin was freeing Normir.  Normir didn't have his armor, naturally, but now they could get him out.  Still, no one was safe with Hurvun in the room.  Leevan pulled his sword out and stepped forward.  The lightning blasting against his armor held him back, but he pushed himself forward one step at a time.

Hurvun growled more, and tried to strengthen his lightning, but Leevan was held back only for a moment.  He continued to step forward.

Suddenly a red blast came out of nowhere and struck Hurvun, but it had no effect.  Hurvun grinned as lightning still came from his eye.

"A nice spell," he said. "But I like my version better.  My version is permanent."

He pointed his finger and shot a red beam where the other blast came from.  Leevan heard Maelin fall with a cry!  So, Hurvun had copied Maelin's spell, and made himself immune to it.  Leevan couldn't help him now, but continually marched forward. 

Hurvun pointed his finger at Leevan, but the red light bounced off his armor.  Leevan was liking this armor more and more.  However, the metal was still heating up, and it was becoming unbearable.

Hurvun increased the lightning, and Leevan groaned in pain, falling on his knee.  Hurvun laughed.  He laughed long and loud.  Leevan scowled.

"Nothing is perfect," said Hurvun. "I'll kill you yet!"

Leevan still scowled, but he couldn't deny it.  The heat was too much.  If this kept up it would kill him.  He would die.

And he would fail.

Chapter Thirty One

Now or Never.

"Get Normir out of here!" Leevan shouted.  Kemra and Normir, to the side, looked on in horror as Leevan stumbled against the lightning. "Go!"

Reluctantly, Kemra led Leevan out of the room.  Maelin was there, but he had been turned into a crippled old man by his own spell.  Leevan was now alone in this fight, but that's the way it had to be.  If the others tried to help they could meet the same fate as Maelin.  He had to do this himself.

The lightning, still streaming against his armor, was starting to become unbearable.  Leevan could barely stand in the heat.  Invisibility wouldn't help him now that the lightning was already on him.  His mind raced?  What could he do?

He thought about the trick Maelin had used to escape from the prison; having lightning follow metal, but Leevan wasn't sure that would work.  The only metal he had was his armor and sword.  His armor was designed to resist lightning, and the lightning wasn't exactly following his blade.

Hurvun was grinning, enjoying Leevan's pain.  Leevan understood that Hurvun controlled the lightning, not any natural forces, but if Leevan could restore the natural order he might be able to get the lightning to follow his sword and use that to his advantage.

But how?

Leevan sank to his hands.  The heat was truly horrible now.  Hurvun cackled.  Leevan had only one shot.  He formed the only spell he could think of.  The lightning was supposed to follow metal, not the will of a human.  He spoke the incantation, but nothing happened.  The lightning didn't follow his sword.  Hurvun's will was too strong.

Leevan felt a burning in his chest and let out a cry of pain!  He couldn't go on like this, and he also couldn't help but feel that he was going to die.

With one last effort he did the only thing he could think of.  He had no idea if it would work, but it was all he had.  Gathering up all his willpower he raised his sword and threw it will all his might!

Straight at Hurvun.