Unintentional Confessions

"Maelin wait," said Leevan.

They had wandered away from the group and behind a large boulder.  Maelin was holding and looking at his sun amulet.  He seemed confused, though Leevan couldn't guess why.  Maelin looked at him angrily.  Leevan had to ask, once and for all.

"What is it?" said Leevan. "Why do you always put me down?  I've always just tried to help and I've never done anything to hurt you."

"You've never done anything useful either."

Now it was Leevan who was angry. "You know full well that isn't true."

"Well, no one believed in you before today, so what does that tell you?"

"My father" Leevan started to say.

"Your Father?" Maelin looked offended.  "You're Father believed in you?  What a joke.  My father pushed me to be the best.  And I am.  I am the most respected magician here."

"I won't argue with you there."

"So tell me this.  Why is it that your father respects you when you're only second rate, but my father doesn't when I'm the best in my league?"

At that moment, Leevan understood. "You really are jealous of me aren't you?  Just not in the way I thought.  That's right isn't it?"

Maelin turned away angrily, but Leevan wasn't done yet.

"You know," he said. "My father didn't believe I could be the best."

"No?

"No.  That would imply he expected me to be the best.  All he wanted was for me to be the best I could be, not the best of all."

A moment of silence and then, "That's silly."

"Maybe so, but let's forget about that now.  Right now we have a job to do.  We're supposed to be figuring out how to get up this mountain.  There's more at stake than you and me.  Let's forget everything and focus on the task at hand, and that's defeating Hurvun."

Another moment of silence, and then. "Fine."

They turned back to join the other magicians, hopefully they would be able to complete their mission.  Leevan looked at Maelin, but Maelin looked away.  At least they wouldn't be at each other's throats anymore.

Or so Leevan hoped.