Traps and Danger

Their ascent of the mountain was treacherous.  Maelin saw the first trap.  With his enchanted eyes the ground looked transparent.  This trap covered up a bottomless pit, making it seem like there was ground to walk on, but if one stepped on this ground he would fall through, and fall forever.  It was easy enough to get around.

Other traps weren't so easy.

Maelin stood looking a one of these traps, "I can see these plants under the soft ground here.  They'll probably emerge and attack us if we cross."

"We'll have to go around," said general Hevman.

"No," said Maelin.  "This trap extends too far.  We don't have time.  We'll have to go through."

The general sighed, irritated. "Right.  Get your swords out!"

The army obeyed and followed him up the hill.  Leevan saw people ahead of him get wrapped in plants that shot out of the ground, and only a few of them were able to cut themselves loose.  Then a few people next to him got grabbed and he became really nervous.  One magician got caught and tried to set the plants on fire, but after speaking the magic words the plants pulled him down faster.

"Don't use fire!" a few of the soldiers yelled.

All around Leevan people were being caught, and then leevan himself was pulled down by the leg, sinking into the ground.  He thought fast.  Fire wouldn't help.  No.  Hurvun must have thought of that.  What else could kill a plant?  But then Hurvun must have thought of that too.  Maybe if he could just get the plant to let him go...but how?  Maybe...if there was something the plant would rather have

Water.  Not fire.  Water!

  He pulled out his canteen, spoke a spell to convince the plant it wanted water more than him, and the plant stopped.  He was halfway in the ground, and then he poured water on the plant, and rose up again.  He was covered in dirt, but he was safe.

"Water!" he cried. "Use water!"

He explained the spell, and by using the water in their canteens they were able to escape, and one else got pulled under.  When they were safely past that trap, general Hevman patted Leevan on the back and said, "Good job son.  Good job."  Leevan felt quite pleased with himself, but then he looked at the eagle men flying above, completely out of harm's way.

Leevan sighed.

At first, Leevan thought the eagle men were the luckiest as they could fly over all the traps, however that didn't last long.  Once the company got high enough they ran into a fog.  The eagle couldn't see anything, but everyone below could still see them.  It would leave them open to attack, and was probably enchanted with eagle men in mind, so Vonor and the other winged men had to walk with the others, which wasn't a pleasant prospect.

They ran into a few other traps that Maelin helped them avoid.  Fire shooting from the ground.  Rocks that would fly towards their heads, more bottomless pits that were hidden, and there was one sort of glade with soft green grass that had an alluring quality.  You just wanted to go there and take a nap.  Maelin saw it for what it as, but some of the soldiers made it there and fell asleep.  They couldn't be woken up, and had to be left behind.

At last they made it to the top, and could see Hurvun's palace up the slope in the distance  It was very forbidding.  It looked as if it had been carved out of the mountain. It was still jagged and distorted like a mountain, as if they had tunneled out rooms, windows, and a drawbridge without bothering to carve the outside.  It looked like a rock with holes in it, but it was more impressive than that sounds.

They made camp out of sight, preparing to attack in the morning.  As Leevan was unrolling his tend, Maelin bumped him, deliberately.  Leevan fell over and looked at him painfully.

"Nice going Leevan," said Maelin. "We're out of water thanks to you."

He went on, and Leevan did realize his canteen was empty.  Even so, they apparently couldn't thank him for saving their lives from those plants.  No.  They had to go right to what was bad.  Wasn't thirst better than death?  He started working again.  Usually he at least got some compliment when he got them out of trouble, even if the smugness came back seconds later.  This was different, and now Leevan felt rather bitter.

The Attack of Ganhai Mountain: Part Five

So the single person in this camp I relate to has only one eye.  Weird.