The Decision.

The Army gathered around General Hevman as he made his speech.  He had been thinking all throughout the night, not even under his tent as all the tents were in a pile at the foot of the mountain, and he had come to his decision.  Leevan waited anxiously with Normir next to him, Normir being out of his cyclops armor.  They both had that question on their minds.  Would they retreat, or go on?

"As you all know," the general spoke loudly and clearly so that all could hear him. "Hurvun's spell has made this mountain as slippery as ice, and so we cannot climb it.  We are also few in numbers now.  Common sense dictates that now would be a good time to retreat."

Leevan had been expecting that, as a few of the soldiers around him had.  They all nodded amongst each other as if to say "that's it, we're done," but general Hevman wasn't finished.

"However," he spoke. "It is not in me to withdraw so easily.  I cannot foresee a way through this, but our magicians might." He looked straight at Leevan, who nodded as the general continued.  "I want our magicians to see if they can figure out a way up the mountain.  After that, we need a spell that can assure our victory.  If these two criteria are met we shall march again.  If not, we shall retreat.  Magicians, you have one day.  Dismissed."

The army dispersed.  Leevan looked at the other magicians grouping together.  A few angry looks told him that they didn't want any part of him.

"They seem pretty hostile," said Normir, his one eye blinking.

"That's fine," said Leevan. "I'll figure out my own spell."

"I'm sure you will," said Normir, smiling. "I'll leave you too it."

Normir walked off and Leevan went to look for some privacy.  He preferred to practice magic alone, mostly so he wouldn't be seen making another ridiculous spell.  However, this time he was determined to come up with something useful.  Something that could be used more than once.  He turned a corner around a boulder

And found Kemra crying.

She tried to quickly wipe away here tears when she saw him.  She smiled, but her face was still wet.

"Oh, hello Leevan," she said brightly, even though she had obviously been sobbing.

"Were you crying?" he asked.

She suddenly became downcast. "Yes.  Vonor is dead."

  Vonor.  He had been nice to him.  Leevan understood why someone would cry for him, and wished he had known that eagle man better.

"He was your friend?" he asked.

"Yes." she sniffled. "He was."

"So why are trying to hide this?  No one would think twice if they saw you crying for a friend."

"Well" she sniffled again. "People seem to feel better when I smile at them.  It lifts their spirits.  After everything that's happened...I want to help any way I can."

After a pause, Leevan said. "That's great."

"Thank you."

"Hey!" said a woman's voice. "Kemra?  Is he making you cry?"

Leevan knew that voice.  It belonged to a redheaded magician woman who looked kind of scary.  In fact her magical talent was supposedly just that.  If you looked into her eyes she became the scariest thing you ever saw.  Leevan didn't turn around."

"Oh no Jaxia," said Kemra. "He's fine.  Thank you Leevan."

She smiled, Leevan thought for real this time, and walked off.  Leevan kept thinking.  Kemra was doing whatever she could to help this army out.  Leevan felt he needed to do the same, especially after the general's decision.  The next time Kemra smiled, it would be because they had won.

Leevan rubbed his hands together.  He had a spell to invent, and he would have to invent it soon.