An Unexpected Friend.

Apparently Hurvun didn't care much about how his home appeared to guests.  A giant rock with windows and a drawbridge wasn't exactly the height of architecture.  Then again, the red glow coming from those windows was rather ominous.  Leevan went back behind the rock structure that everyone else was hidden behind.

He looked towards the camp where the other magicians were sitting.  They gave him some accusing looks.  Apparently they were still mad about the water incident. Leevan still thought thirst was better than death, but he wasn't going to push it.  He saw Kemra with a divining rod, which was a piece of metal shaped like a Y.  The long end went in the ground, one short end had a knob, and the other end would shoot out water, if there was any for the rod to summon.  So far, Kemra wasn't having any luck.  She saw him and smiled, though not as sweetly as she usually smiled at everyone.

At least she wasn't mad.  That made one person.

He brought out his sword.  He knew he wasn't going to learn some magic of his own within a night, so he figured he would practice something he was actually good at.  He swung a few times, making sure he had his stance right, and that he was throwing his weight into the blow properly.  He practiced a few parries, keeping in mind that in a real fight he would direct an opponent's strike away.

"You're doing well," said an unfamiliar voice.

Leevan turned and saw the cyclops in full battle armor leaning against the rock wall.  Leevan took a better look at him.  His armor covered him completely, and it really did seem so intricately woven that it had no weakness, except for the open eye of course.

"Thank you," said Leevan.  "Any advice?" He figured he should ask since they would be fighting some cyclops.

"For Slefah," the one eyed man said. "Thrust when their mouth is open to strike.  They attack with smell, not with sight, and when their mouth is open they can't see your sword.  For ogres move as soon as they lift their clubs, not when they bring them down.  They're not smart enough to change the direction of their blow anyway."

"And cyclops?  I have to ask."

 "I know," he said uncomfortably. "If you can blind us, it won't be hard to strike our eye."

"Thank you," said Leevan.

"No problem.  I'm making sure everyone knows how to fight their best."

The cyclops was about to walk away when Leevan asked, "Why do the rest of your people fight with Hurvun?"

The cyclops froze.  He removed his helmet and then turned back.  His eye rested between where a human's eyes would.  Other than that he looked pretty human.  he replied, "If you were to ask one of them, they would say that the rest of the world was trying to steal their secrets in metal craft."

"That's not true."

"I know that, but Hurvun cited various time that other nation asked for their secrets and has convinced most of them that the Ciniceros empire, and other nations, will eventually take them by force."

Leevan was confused. "But he's openly told us he want to hand our governments over to him."

"Well, you see, there's some sort of enchantment he's cast.  Other cyclops can't hear him when he talks like that.  All they hear is defiance." He paused.  "I don't know why it hasn't affected me."

That really seemed to get to him, and Leevan felt sorry for him. "And now we're going to fight them."

"You've heard Hurvun's threats," replied the cyclops. "We can't let that come to pass.  Conditions are already bad for cyclops.  He works them like a slave driver making more armor and war machines to fight with.  It will only get like that for everyone else if we let it happen."

Leevan was once again confused, "Why do they follow him under those conditions?"

"How does a deceitful leader such his subjects dry?  They let him.  They think they must fight against their oppressors, when they're really working for him."

Though he had one eye, it had as much emotion in it as two, and Leevan could see sadness in this cyclops.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Thank you.  I'm Normir."

"Leevan."

They shook hands, and Leevan followed Normir back to the camp.  Leevan got angry looks from the magicians, and Normir got suspicious ones from the human soldiers.  Leevan knew they had a reason to be cautious, but this was unnecessary.

"I won't be sitting with the other magicians," said Leevan. "Would you like some company?"

Normir smiled.  "I would."

"We have water!" cried Kemra!

From divining rod stuck in the ground water was flowing out one side.  So there was water in these mountains!  Soldiers and magicians crowded around to fill their canteens.

"Drink up men!" cried General Hevman. "For tomorrow morning we begin the attack of Ganhai Mountain!"