(Teardrops) Like Diamonds On The Floor

I manoeuvred the grocery bags in my arms as I turned the key to the loft and slid open the door as I tried not to drop anything on the ground, groaning around the handle of the plastic bag I had clenched in between teeth so that I could use both of my hands. I closed the door behind me as I shifted the bags in my arms to keep balanced and then dropped one of the canvas grocery bags on the ground so that I could take the handle out of my mouth.

"Honey, I'm home!" I called out teasingly with a grin as I lifted all of the bags back into my arms and I headed towards the kitchen to put away the food I had brought, "How was your day? Again, thank you for lending me your car, but did you end up fixing whatever it was that needed fixing on mine? I was supposed to drive Malia to get a makeover tomorrow. She decided she wanted a new look for senior year. Although, she's freaking out over whether or not she's actually going to be part of our graduating class. You remember I told you she had to go to summer school 'cause the principal said her test scores weren't good enough and she might have to repeat junior year?

"Well, she's completely stressed out over it, so I'm taking her to a day spa with Lyds. I'm a little concerned about them hanging out all day, what with them both liking Stiles. And yes, I know your opinion on the subject of Stiles." I said out loud with an eye roll as I went about shelving the groceries in the correct cabinets and I couldn't help the fond upturn of my lips as I continued my rant, "Malia has her share of 'Hale' qualities. She's volatile and stubborn as hell. And you've been on the receiving end of Lydia's viciousness. I for one do not want to be stuck in the middle of those two.

"Do you feel like anything specific for dinner? I was thinking about making that Thai stir-fry you liked, that sound good?" I asked him over my shoulder as I grabbed a handful of grapes from the fridge and popped one in my mouth as I closed the door behind me. I frowned to myself when there was no response from anywhere in the loft and I glanced at the digital clock on the microwave, reading the time in concern. "Derek? You here?"

I chewed on one of the grapes in my hand as I turned around to go find out where he was because I could hearing the familiar rhythm of his heartbeat coming from somewhere within the loft. I gasped out loud, my eyes widening in shock as my lips parted slightly when I caught sight of Derek standing in the entranceway to the kitchen with a blank expression on his face. "God! Derek! You scared the hell out of me!"

I studied his face for a moment with a perplexed frown on my lips as I took a step forward and I pursed my lips in concern as I tilted my head to the side, "You look really serious right now."

"You left your phone here." was the only response I received from him as he turned the device over in his hand and I followed the movement with my gaze as I raised my eyebrows questioningly.

"Okay. Sorry, did you try to contact me?"

"No. But someone called you, and I answered it. Hope you don't mind."

"Of course not. I don't keep secrets from you, Der." I stated nonchalantly with a shrug of my shoulders as a bright grin spread across my lips, thinking that it was the reason he was being so cagey and I started gathering the utensils I would need to make dinner. "Who called?"

"Carnegie Mellon University." He answered in a monotone voice as he crossed his arms over his chest with the same blank expression and I glanced over my shoulder at him with a small smile playing on my lips.

"Carnegie Mellon? That's a new one." I said airily as I turned back to assembling the vegetables I would need out of the refrigerator and I started humming to myself as I placed them all one the counter.

"You've been contacted by other colleges?" he asked in surprise as something I didn't recognise flashed through his eyes and my forehead furrowed but I just nodded my head at his question.