The Truth Can Be Killer

"Preliminary notes on firearm discharge incident. Assailant armed with sound-suppressor equipped Walther P88... Having heard the perpetrator's threat and countdown, I made visual confirmation of the barrel of the weapon pressed to the potential victim's head. Determining the danger to be imminent, I felt no other choice but to respond with the use of deadly force." My father lied into the voice recorder on his phone in a calm voice and I could only pick up a slight tremor in his heartrate when he said the word 'I'.

I bit my lower lip in between my teeth as I curled my legs up to my chest where I was sitting on the couch in my father's office. I watched silently as he removed the remaining rounds from the clip of his back up gun before placing them and the gun into plastic evidence bags.

"Thanks for waiting. I know it's late." He said to me softly with a sigh as he took a seat next to me on the couch and I forced a small smile as I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly.

"It's okay. It's not like I'm going to be going to school tomorrow anyway." I told him in a quiet voice as I hugged my legs tighter to my chest. I didn't mention to the fact that I was scared to go to sleep because I didn't want to experience nightmares.

"Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drive back to San Francisco tonight. I'll need to do a review at the field office. But I'll be back as soon as I can. I might have to miss the first game of the season."

"It's no big deal. Scott won't mind."

"It is to me. I'm keeping my promises this time." He informed me firmly as he placed a hand on my cheek and I nodded slightly with a small smile that didn't reach my eyes.

Dad sighed heavily as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and drew me into an embrace so that my head rested on his chest. "What you did, it was necessary. Justifiable. You know that, right?"

I was silently for a moment as I closed my eyes tightly and I focused on the rhythmic thumping of his heart to keep my grounded in reality. I didn't want to get lost in my own thoughts because it truly terrified me to know what I would find. I took a deep breath as I opened my eyes and I looked up at my father for a vulnerable expression. "Have you done it before?"

"Two other times. It's not easy, taking a man's life, even someone who forces you to do it."

"How do you deal with it?"

"You look at it logically. Without emotion. You compartmentalize." He told me resolutely with a nod of his head and I hummed in acknowledgement because I could remember Chris telling me something similar after Allison died.

"How do you do that?" I asked him in a whisper as I gazed off to the side of the office with a helpless frown and he soothed down my hair lovingly as though he had sensed my shifted in mood.

"I used to do it by drinking." Dad told me in a light-hearted tone, like he was trying to make a joke but I knew that what he said was the truth and I chuckled slightly as I leaned my head back on his chest.

I couldn't remember the last time I sat with my father in silence. At least not comfortably. All of our interactions since the divorce had been tinged in awkwardness because he didn't know that I knew the truth as to why he had left. But now, everything was out in the open and there was no secrets between us. Except for the one that we now shared. Secrets held power, and that power diminishes when they are shared. The secret we shared would connect us for the rest of our lives.

"Listen, Soph, if I'm going to tell my superior that I was the one that discharged my weapon, you and Stiles can't tell anyone the truth. Alright? No one. Not your friends, not your mother, not Scott. Only you, me, Stiles and Stilinski know the truth." Dad warned me firmly as he ducked his head to look into my eyes sternly and I swallowed roughly with tears in my eyes as I nodded my head in understanding.