Everyone Has Tendencies For Good And Evil

"I don't want to do this." I complained childishly as I lolled my head back against the headrest and I rolled my head around to gaze out the window at the ominous building we were parked in front of.

"Then don't." Derek answered easily from the driver's seat of the SUV as he tapped his finger on the steering wheel and I turned my head to glare at him in annoyance. "What? You don't have to do this."

"Yes, I do. You know I do."

"No, I don't."

"Why? You want to do it?" I asked him sarcastically, already knowing the answer and his face scrunched up in disgust as he looked away from me. I made a noise of affirmation with a smug smirk on my lips as I relaxed back into my seat and he rolled his eyes at me with a faint smile as he looked out the windshield.

"I know you feel like you have to do this, but you don't. I mean it, Sophie." He told me softly as he reached over to intertwine our fingers on my thigh and he leaned towards me slightly to emphasis his point.

"Maybe I don't have to. But I need to, Derek." I admitted gently in a sad tone of voice as I leaned forward with a small smile and he seemed to nod slowly in understanding as I squeezed his hand. "I have to talk to him. I have to see him. I want to know why."

"You know why, Sophie." He countered sympathetically as he raised an eyebrow at me and I huffed out an exasperated sigh as I turned my head to look out the windshield.

"You sure you don't want to come in with me?" I asked him pointedly, making it clear I was ignoring his comment and he suppressed a smile for a moment before his lips turned down in a frown. "He is your uncle."

"Not any more. My Uncle Peter died in the fire that killed the rest of my family." Derek said solemnly with a blank expression as he turned his attention out the driver's side window and I squeezed his hand tightly with an empathetic frown as I scanned his profile in concern.

"Okay." I whispered in understanding with a slight sad smile as I reached over rub his arm and he turned his head to look at me with an appreciative upturn of his lips. I leaned over the centre console to press my lips against his tenderly and he slipped his hand into my hair as he gently tugged me closer. We continued to kiss for a few moments longer before I pulled back from the embrace with a small smile and he planted a small kiss on the tip of my nose as he leaned back in the driver's seat.

"I'll be right out here. We can leave whenever you want." He assured me soothingly as he tilted his head to the side slightly and I squeezed his hand gratefully but shook my head with a small smile.

"I won't be long. Promise. But when this is over, I'm warning you right now, I'm going to breakdown."

"That's fine. We'll go home, cuddle up on our bed and we'll watch something really sad. And you'll cry on my shoulder and tell me it's over the movie, but we both know it's really not."

"You know me really well." I whispered in awe with one corner of my mouth turning upwards and he grinned brightly as he nodded in agreement, light green eyes twinkling with humour.

"I already have mint chocolate ice cream. And if that doesn't do it, I have vodka." He told me good-naturedly with a wink as his smile transformed into a smirk and I laughed outright as I tipped my head back, feeling relaxed for the first time that morning.

"Thanks for coming with me." I said sincerely as I opened the passenger side door with a small smile and he nodded once in understanding with an earnest expression as I climbed out of the car. The chilly air caused me to shiver as I closed the door behind me and I looked up at the ominous building standing in front of me.