Time Heals All Wounds But Mine

"Why are you staring at yourself in your underwear?" a familiar voice asked me sceptically from the doorway to my borrowed bedroom. A small smile spread across my lips as I looked at my friend in the reflection of the mirror.

Braeden was beautiful with her inky black hair, dark brown eyes sharp with awareness that came from years as a US Marshall and mercenary. Her smooth dark skin was blemished by the jaggered scars down her cheek and neck, a gift she received from Deucalion after recusing Isaac.

"I was just checking out my new tattoo." I answered her quietly as my finger traced the black ink calligraphy scripted around my right hip bone.

Nous protégeons ceux qui ne peuvent pas se protéger eux mêmes.

I stared at my reflection in the full length mirror. My wavy dark brown hair had recently been cut to my shoulders and red dye added to the ends. My once playful dark brown eyes were still dull and lifeless. I had lost a little weight but my skin was a golden tan.

Two months. Two months had passed since I had left Beacon Hills but I could still feel Aiden and Allison presence in every moment. They were with me every second of every day, like ghosts haunting me every move.

But I was getting better. I no longer cried myself to sleep at night. I no longer woke up to nightmares blaming me for their deaths.

I heaved out a sigh as Braeden walked over to where I was standing and leaned her chin on my bare shoulder as her hands found their way to my hips. She had always been like this towards me, touchy-feely. It was something that really surprised me because she was normally so stoic, reminding me of Derek when we first met.

I was a little hesitant when she first offered me a place to stay, especially when she acted so flirty with me and I knew her preference for female companionship. But she assured me that, while she thought I was extremely attractive, she knew I was straight and had just lost my boyfriend. Since then I had been staying in the spare room of her rented apartment and we had become great friends.

"It was a nice way to solidify her memory." Braeden complimented me softly as her finger grazed over the motto and I smiled at her reflection gratefully.

"And what about this one?" I asked her curiously as I held up my left wrist for her to see even though she was with me when it was done. The words Kitten + Aiden scribbled in fancy calligraphy were tattooed across my skin and I smiled at the sight of it. A constant reminder of my first love.

The sound of my cell phone ringing knocked me out of my thoughts and I glanced over my shoulder at the bedside table. I sighed heavily as Braeden patted my shoulder sympathetically and left the room to give me privacy.

I walked over to see Lydia's name flashing on the screen and I smiled slightly as I sat down on the bed, holding the phone up to my ear. "Well, hello. What can do for you, Miss Martin?"

"Hey, um, you haven't by chance heard from Derek lately have you?" Lydia asked me quickly causing me to frown in concern as I leaned back against my pillow.

"Not since I left Beacon Hills. Actually, a few days before that. Why? Is something wrong?" I asked her quietly as the worst case scenario flashed through my mind and I silently wished that I was completely wrong in my assumption that something horrible had happened.

"What? No! Of course nothing's wrong! What could be wrong?" she asked in a high pitched voice, sounding suspiciously like Stiles and I scrunched my nose up slightly in confusion.

"If nothing's wrong then why did you call to ask me if I'd heard from Derek?"

"I was curious! Is curiosity a crime now?"

"Curiosity killed the cat, and last time I checked murder was a crime, so yes. Curiosity is a crime now."

"Everything's fine!" she exclaimed wildly and I could picture the bright fake smile on her lips as I reclined back on the bed. "So tell me, how's Sydney? You are in Australia right now, right?"

"Australia? Yeah, it's gorgeous. I'm looking at the Sydney Harbour Bridge right this second." I lied easily as I looked out the window at the small Mexican town below.