A Promise To The Dead

The soft patter of rain outside was the first thing I heard when I woke up and I slowly opened my eyes to be confronted by the dark early morning light cascading into the loft bedroom. A heavy weight was draped across my waist as I intertwined my fingers with the hand that rested on my stomach and I hummed contently as I felt a kiss being pressed to the back of my bare shoulder.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" Derek asked me huskily in a soft voice as he tightened his hold and I made an absent noise of negativity as I shook my head slightly. "Good."

"Why are you awake?" I asked him in concern as I leaned back into his bare chest and he leaned his chin on my shoulder as he pressed a kiss under my ear. "Are you okay?"

"Mm-hmm. Just thinking."

"Yeah? About what?"

"How gorgeous you look when you're sleeping." He murmured in a playful tone as he buried his face in my neck and I chuckled in amusement as he grazed his teeth over my skin. "So damn gorgeous."

A grin spread across my lips as he continued to trail a path of kisses down my neck and I shifted slightly to give him a better vantage point as I held back a moan when he found a particularly pleasurable spot. I arched my back instinctively as his thumb drew circles on my stomach, leaving a path of fire in its wake and my eyes fluttered closed in pleasure before a strike of realisation went through me.

"Oh, no you don't!" I exclaimed in mock anger as I detangled myself from him and I rolled over to face him with a pointed look that was a mixture of exasperation and amusement. He gave me a mock affronted frown as he tilted his head to the side, trying to give off the appearance of innocence. "Don't try and deflect my concern with sex. I invented that."

"I'm not deflecting your concern. I'm saying it's unfounded." Derek clarified in a light tone as he quirked an eyebrow at me and I hummed doubtfully as I hitched my leg over his hip with a dubious expression. "You don't believe me?"

"No, of course I believe you." I mocked playfully with a false serious expression and he nodded along with me in the same joking demeanour. I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips as I intertwined our fingers in the space between us and he grinned slightly in amusement as he brought our joined hands to his lips, pressing a kiss to my knuckles.

Warmth spread through my chest as I looked into his light green eyes with a soft smile and I knew with an absolute certainty that I loved the man in front of me. Derek was one of the only people I'd ever met who could keep up with me on an intellectual level, we could talk for hours about the works of Ernest Hemingway or the origins of medieval knighthood. I felt safe when he was around me, like there was a protective bubble surrounding me where no one could touch me but even when something did hurt me, he was the one I wanted by my side. There was no denying he was stubborn and brooding and it annoyed me to no end that he could practically read my mind, but it was also one of the things I loved most about him. There were so many things I adored about him, too many things for me to name but it was undeniable.

"Hey. Hey, hey, hey. What's going on? You look like you're about to cry." Derek murmured softly as he cupped my cheeks with a concerned frown playing on his lips and I let out a breathy laugh as I shook my head, wiping my eyes with the back of my fingers.

"I'm fine." I assured him with a shaky smile as I reached up to lay my hands over his and he looked at me in confusion as he rubbed his thumbs over my skin soothingly. "It's just... I lo - "

A loud beeping rung throughout the loft, cutting off my words as the proximity alarm activated and I immediately sat up in bed, the sheet pooling around my waist as Derek copied my movement. We shared a panicked glance as we climbed out of the bed on opposite sides and we both reached for the guns we had placed on both of the bedside tables in case of an emergency. I aimed the gun towards the ground as I carefully scanned the room for an intruder and Derek moved around one side of the room as I took the other so that we covered more space.