Weaponised

The stark white walls of Braeden's hospital room were slowly started to drive me crazy and the florescent light overhead was making my normally tan skin seem grey as I sat at her bedside. My bare feet were kicked up on the side of the bed, careful not to disturb her medicated sleep and I fidgeted with my fingers in my lap as I watched the gentle rise and fall of Braeden's chest.

The moment Derek called to tell me he wasn't coming home for dinner, and the abridged reason as to why he was skipping out on our date, I raced to the hospital to be there for my friend. Apparently, Derek had found Braeden bleeding out of bullet wound in the clearing where he found Satomi's poisoned pack.

"Sophie..." Derek started quietly like he was trying not to disturb the silence that had fallen over us and I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from answering him as I continued to stare at Braeden's face. I heard him sigh in frustration as he his gaze burned into the side of my head and he moved closer to where I was sitting as I pursed my lips to stop from snapping at him. "Come on, So. Please talk to me."

"I have nothing to say. Well, that's not true. I have plenty to say. I have nothing you're gonna wanna hear." I told him sharply as I crossed my arms over my chest in defiance and he crouched down next to my chair as he leant his folded arms on the edge. "The only reason I'm not tearing you shreds with my vicious, vicious words is because I don't want to get thrown out of the hospital when Braeden needs someone."

"You have to see this from my point of view."

"No, I don't. Your point of view is stupid."

"How is it stupid for me to want you to be safe?" he asked defensively in disbelief as he shook his head slightly and I snapped my head around to glare at him heatedly with a scowl on my lips.

"Because you know that I am more than capable of keeping myself safe!" I retorted in a slightly raised voice as I sat forward in my seat to face him and his light green eyes blazed with anger as his scowled darkened. "I don't do damsel well. Distress, I can do. Damsel? Not so much."

"I know that. I do, but – "he started to argue with an irritated expression but was cut off when the door suddenly opened and my mother came rushing in with a determined expression on her face.

"Mom? What's going on?" I asked in concern as I watched her ready a syringe with a frown on my lips and she ignored me as she injected the medication into the IV attached to Braeden. "What's that?"

"Naloxone." Mom explained shortly as she carefully watched the medicine run through the plastic tubing and I raised both my eyebrows in surprise as I leaned forward in my chair while Derek looked at me in confusion.

"It's a synthetic drug, similar to morphine, which blocks opiate receptors in the nervous system." I informed him quietly without taking my eyes off of my mother and she looked over at us with a tired sigh as she pursed her lips like she didn't want to say the next thing to come out of her mouth.

"We need to wake her up."

"I thought you said she needed to rest."

"That was before I found out the CDC just put the high school under quarantine with Scott and Stiles still in there."

Braeden released a startled gasp as her eyes flew open and I immediately turned my attention to her as I placed my hand into her own. Her eyes looked around wildly as she tried to make sense of her surroundings and I rubbed my thumb over her knuckle to sooth her as she started to calm down when her gaze landed on me.

"Braeden, look at me." My mom encouraged her in a firm voice as she placed a hand on the mercenary's arm to draw her attention and Braeden slowly turned her head to look at her while clearing her throat. "You were shot, but you're in the hospital now and you're fine. Do you understand?" my mom asked her gently with a small smile on her lips and then waited a moment for Braeden to nod in affirmation. "Good. Okay. Last night you were in the woods and you came across another pack? Do you know what happened to them?"