the problem with buttons

"Really Jean? You couldn't wait till tonight at least, after we went to the beach?" Kayla groaned.

Jean smirked at her. "Nice to see you too, Kayla."

"Not really," She replied.

The blonde woman who had sat down alone stood up now, standing next to Jean.

"Good work, Madison," He said, and the woman smiled. It was obvious she was some kind of assistant or spy for Jean.

The woman behind the counter looked suspiciously at Jean and the woman. "Excuse me, but I don't want any trouble." She looked ready to already call the police.

"Oh, neither do we," Jean replied. "We were just having a little.... chat, isn't that right, guys?"

We just frowned at him.

"Come on then, let's get out of here so we don't bother this woman,"  Jean said with a creepy smile.

As much as we wanted to stay in the ice cream shop protected by this woman and at least die with amazing desserts, we knew Jean could pull out a gun at any second and threaten us, so we agreed and followed him outside. He guided us about a block away from the shop, to an area that wasn't very busy. In fact, I didn't see any sign of humans.

"So, how have you guys been? Kayla, have you been thinking a little bit more about my offer? You really shouldn't make such rash decisions." Jean looked a bit taller, more grown up, and older. And even more creepy. 

"You know what, we were doing just fine when you weren't around," Harry stated.

"Oh Harry, I think I missed you the least," Jean told him.

"Tushe," He replied.

"So, where are The Rays? They aren't here to back you up, like they usually are?" Jean asked.

"You know about the Rays?" I asked.

"Of course, little naive Marisa," Jean said. "I know about everything."

"Yeah, because you put a freaking tracking device inside of my head," Harry spat.

"Oh, look at you, figuring out things on your own," Jean smiled. "Yeah, maybe I have."

"What about you, Jean? You're only back up is a girl?" Liam asked.

"Madison is my assistant," Jean said, gesturing to the woman, who was standing close to him. "She's not here to help me fight. I wanted to take you guys on by myself."

Kayla snickered. "How do you expect to do that? You might be powerful and strong, but there's four of us. Well I guess me and Marisa don't really count, we're like half a person."

I nodded reluctantly.

Jean smiled. "I have my ways."

Before he could make another smart alec remark, Harry ran forward and tackled him, pushing him against the ground. I heard something crack under him, and at first I thought it might be a bone or something disgusting, but I saw a small, black box fly from his pocket and skid a few feet away.

"What's that?" I asked, trying to monover around Jean and reach the box. Jean punched Harry a good few times, making blood run from his nose, but Liam had already stepped in and helped push him back. It seemed obvious that they would win, I didn't know what Jean was thinking. And Madison was just standing off in the distance. I noticed that her eyes fell on the box and she looked panicked, running towards it and reaching for it. But I was running towards it too, and I swiped it from the ground before she could do anything.

I held it up, seeing a bright red button in the middle of the box.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," The woman said, smiling a bit.

"What does it do?" I asked.

"You could find out," Madison said, and reached forward, smacking the button out of my hand. It flew across the ground and landing next to Jean, who was on the ground under the boys, getting beat pretty senseless.

Jean noticed the button and smiled, pushing the boys off of him. He reached towrads the button, but before he could push it someone kicked it from him, and it went flying across the floor yet again.

Jean looked up in suprise and saw Clay towering over him, looking pretty pissed.

"You," Jean hissed.

Clay and Drew, who was right behind him, picked up Jean from the collar and pushed him against the wall. "You know, you are really getting on my nerves," Clay said. "I think you should leave these kids alone, if you know what's good for you."

Jean smiled. "I think you don't know what you're getting yourself into, Clay. You don't know what I have the power of doing."

"Prove it, then," Clay remarked. "Let's see what you can do."

"Alright then," Jean said. "If you insist." He looked over at Madison, who had picked up the button. We were all to distracted to retrive it again. "Madison?"

Smiling, Madison pushed the button, and Harry fell to the floor, limp.

For a while nobody moved or said anything. Then in a split second, Liam had Jean by the collar of his shirt and pushed him against the wall. "What did you do to him!?" he screamed, and I don't think I've ever seen Liam so angry in his life. Except maybe when Drew hit on Marisa.

I ran over to where Harry lay in a sprawled mess on the ground and shook him slightly. "Harry, wake up," I said. "Harry."

"What did you do to him?!" I heard Liam repeat, and then a loud bang as his fist connected with Jean's face.

Marisa stood there, mouth open, clearly shocked at what happened between Drew and Clay, whose eyes were both wide. I realized that shaking Harry was doing no good, as his eyes were still shut tight and he completly limp.

Liam seemed to have lost control and was now repeatedly punching Jean against the wall. "Liam!" I screamed. "Stop!"

He didn't listen to me. I turned to Marisa and said, "Can you make him stop."

"Liam," she said quietly, and he stopped. Of course he listened to her and not me.

"Why?" he answered, breathless. "He just-"

"Exactly," I hissed angrily. "He made it happen and he knows how to reverse it, so stop hitting him before he ends up dead."

Liam seemed to realize that this was rational, and slowly backed awway from Jean, who crumpled against the wall and sank to the floor, concious but bleeding everywhere.

I walked over and knelt next to him. "What did you do him?" I asked, and my voice wavered slightly.

"He's not dead, if that's what your asking," and I heard Marisa sigh in relief loudly.

"Then what's wrong with him?" Liam asked. He looked as if he had calmed down now that he was standing next to Marisa, who had her hand on his shoulder.

"I shut down his body," he answered. "The chip in his brain, it's connected to everything. I'd explain the science of it all to you but I know you idiots wouldn't understand."

Clay surprised all of us by asking, "You can reverse it thought, right? Can't you?"

"Obviousily," Jean answered angrily. "But who says I want to?"

"What if I come with you?" I asked quickly. "Will you?"

He paused and looked at me. "Really?"

"Yeah," I answered. "Really."

He barely even paused before he said, "Yes."

I stood up and so did he. "Then do it then," I said. "And we can go."

Jean reached into his pocket and pulled out another box, but instead of having one button there was a keypad with the number 0-9. Jean turned away so that I couldn't see and pressed a rather longer combonation and Harry stirred, but before I could see him stand up Jean grabbed my arm and dragged me away.