Chapter 35 - UNCUT

Chapter 35 - UNCUT

The day was grey.  The breeze pulled at my hair.  I turned my face into the wind and breathed it in.

“Queen Maeb, Lords and Guests, today we stand here to witness the Wager of Battle.  Lord Godfrey and Queen Maeb’s champion Jonathan of Hithwood will cross swords in this trial by combat until one falls or accepts defeat. The man who is pure of heart and has truth to strengthen him will be the victor.”

Jonathan stood tall with Douglas at his side.  He wore his fighting armour.  The one who accepted the challenge had the right to choose the method of combat.  So as my Champion Jonathan could choose what weapons they fought with.  He chose to fight the Florentine, which was also my favourite fighting style.

 The men would fight with two blades, a sword and a long dagger.  They wore light armour – plate and studded leather strapped over heavy cloth or felt.  In this sort of combat, with no shield, you had to be light, nimble and fast and chain was too bulky.  His chest and back were protected with two plates laced together.  The front of the legs also bore plate but not the back. 

Jonathan looked comfortable and at ease as he swore his oath.  He wore a tunic which hung over his breast plate and bore the colours and emblem of the twelve.   Douglas handed him his open face helm. 

As he took the final piece of his armour from Douglas and balanced it in his hands, his eyes held mine.  His lips smiled in the same carefree way that they had when he had left my bed and my room this morning.  Then with a quick nod of his head he brought the helm over his head roughly pushed it down then he turned to face Lord Godfrey. 

I also turned to appraise my accuser.  He stood in similar armour.  Yet his seem newer.  There were less dents and it shone brighter.  I smiled.  To a seasoned warrior it screamed ‘show pony’.  Only a man more concerned as to looks and tournament glory shined his armour.  A true warrior wore his dull and could name the battle which each dent and scratch was earned.  Lord Godfrey might be undefeated on the tournament field but his armour did not know war.  

Yes, the two men were vastly different.  Other than their armour I noticed that the man at Godfrey’s side stood stooped. Not raising his head to the Lord and keeping his eyes on the ground.  Whereas Douglas stood proudly next to Jonathan and I could just see his mouth moving as he murmured some observation.  Jonathan nodded once then took his sword from Douglas.  His eye flickered to Godfrey before returning to Douglas.  I did not see his lips move but Douglas fought hard not to laugh.

Both men were confident but both exuded different types of confidence.  Godfrey’s haughty arrogance differed much to Jonathan’s relaxed self assuredness.  

I took a deep breath and forced myself to cease this ridiculous line of thought.   I was looking for Lord Godfrey’s faults to reassure myself that Jonathan would walk away from this unscathed.  That was a fools errant.  Pinning hope on superficial traits would not help.

I wanted to believe that Jonathan was the man to beat in this duel but that might not be the case.  Jonathan had not fought for a full year.  He had been in hiding all winter and spring as he recovered.  Then he had missed the campaign season as he search for me.  He had trained with the twelve and he had fought Arthur and his men but this was vastly different.  Lord Godfrey was a trained knight and despite what looked like a lack of battlefield experience he still had been very active over the last year.

Stamina and skill was what decided who stood and who fell. 

The men began to circle each other as they watched each other. 

I felt my chest constrict as I watched.  Be brave Maeb.  Be brave for him.  I pushed my shoulders back and straightened my back.  No matter which way this went I would behave like a Queen and I would be his woman.  I would not dishonour him by hiding or gasping when his opponent’s sword clashed with his.  I would be strong and I would be proud.