Just Remember to Smile

Chapter 14: Indi's POV

I stood outside the school in the gradually darkening sky. I looked again at my phone. Nine, no, ten minutes late. Would he even show up? Probably not. After my little phone call fiasco earlier he's probably thought better of it and stayed away. I sat down on the wall and looked up into the night. I say night but it's only about five. During winter it gets dark here really early. One by one the stars were slowly appearing in amongst the inky blue and purple. My breath glittered as it hung in the air, frozen. I closed my eyes; all the hard work at school and then the sleepover last night had made me really sleepy. All day I'd been really active and awake, but now I just wanted to doze off.

Then my scream echoed through the streets as hands gripped me round the waist and pulled me back. My eyes flew open and I spun my head round wildly, hair whipping through the cold air.

"Owww! Your hair hurts, Indi!" came a voice, chuckling slightly.

I swivelled my legs round and stood up so I faced Aaron. His hands were still around my waist and they tightened as he pulled me into a hug. I breathed in his warmth, my arms creeping up to his neck and moving in closer, tugging at the collar of his thick coat. Aaron's hand moved up to mine, took it in his own and lifting it to his mouth kissed the back of it.

"So, where you taking me?" I inquired casually, secretly really eager to know.

He just raised an eyebrow at me, smirked and shook his head. Ahh that boy. He's too cool and damn sexy for his own good.

***

He held the door open for me and ushered me through politely; ever the gentleman. The door swung shut behind us as he took my hand and led me to the table in the corner. Candles glowed, bouncing light off of the champagne flutes, and a single velvety red rose lay across the plate. I sat down in one of the seats and faced Aaron who had also seated himself; looking deep into his eyes. He flashed me a heart melting smile and I shivered with happiness.

"Drinks?" he asked, still smiling. I nodded, as he took a bottle of champagne out of a bucket and poured it into the glasses; pale gold bubbles fizzing through the liquid and whispering as they reached the surface. I reached out for the flute as Aaron held his to mine and toasted.

"To something new. To you, the most stunning and amazing person I've ever met. And to us."

"To us," I echoed, enormous grins gracing both of our features at the words. I took a sip of the drink, loving the feel of the delicious bubbles bursting on my tongue and the sweet taste as it ran down my throat.

"Nice place you got here by the way," I added, chuckling slightly. He grinned stupidly.

"Yeah, it's cool. Took me a while to find but I like it," he replied, "Hope you like Italian." I looked back at him and shook my head, biting my lip. A worried expression appeared on his face; I could almost see the thoughts running through his head as he wondered what to do. He blinked continuously as he gazed down at his feet. Ahhh, he's so cute. I held my tongue until I couldn't bear it in any longer and laughed. Aaron's head shot up and his gorgeous eyes met mine, an evil glint in amongst the golden hues.

"You, Indiana Parker, are a terrible, terrible girl. I will get you back for that!" I winked back at the threat. He smirked, lip curled back over his teeth, and said, "Pizza it is then!"

***

"A large stuffed crust pizza with chicken and extra cheese..." said the guy as he set the food down on our table.

"...And a deep pan spicy meat feast. With two Cokes. Was that everything?" he asked us. Aaron nodded his head and chucked the guy a couple of notes before he left, slamming the door behind him. A couple of seconds later we heard the engine of his motorbike start up before it sped away down the road.