Adopted Kin

Chapter: Liz

"I would like that." I shake my head up and down excited, "Play the tune you would play tonight."

"As the little lady requests." he bows and picks up his violin.

 It was a beautiful instrument with a simple design that made a huge impact on the instrument. He started playing a very soft tune that was very beautiful as though a warm breeze had enveloped me. I smelt the fresh bread, and cookies baking in the oven back at home. My eye's close and I sway to the music. Once there was an odd sound that played but then it happened again and I looked up to see him looking at me. There was a playful light in his eye as he started playing a funny tune that had me giggling. Then he started dancing a little but still having that dark expression on his face.

Clapping along I say, "I know this isn't what you would play for the Maiden."

"That may be true but I don't need you nodding off and being disrespectful." He said teasing.
"Ahh she wasn't nodding off she was just enjoying it with her eyes closed right little lady?" Snake said walking over to me putting his hand on my head

"That's right!" I said folding my my arms puffing my cheeks.

    That got them both laughing and it seemed to have relieved the tension in the air which was good. Papa should be able to recover nicely with this kind of aurora.

Chapter: Snake

    "My apologies than, Madam." Prince gave her a full-hearted smile.  I don't know what it was with him and kids but all I can say is Wolves always love the puppies.  They can play all day long if he could but of course that's not the case so he enjoys what time he has with them.  That's true even if he complains later haha.

    Liz continued to smile and giggle, saying "You're excused."  Prince was about to speak more as well as she.  Liz had a puzzled looked like she was going to ask something before a voice called.  It was Black Wolf, he said something about speaking to our mother.  Prince got back his serious face, he was back on duty as he passed me. 

    He put a hand on my shoulder but stopped to look me in the eyes, saying quietly, "Watch over them."  His eyes meant business, he knows I am not yet comfortable with them.  With that he left and Liz was on the bed with her gaze down, biting her lip lightly with slight worry.  She must feel uncomfortable with me, I can understand that. 

    She did not speak for a few seconds leaving me to bite my lip too before sitting beside her on the bed.  "You know..." I started quite sweetly really.  "I'm adopted too."

    She looked up at me without raising her head and quietly said, "Yeah?"

    "Yeah actually..." I mumbled a little shy now, "I'm not a Shadow.  I'm just a normal outsider."  I spoke looking down at the sheets I was rubbing with my hand, she looked up at me now with curiosity.  That made me smile a little.  "Prince was sent out on a patrol to run out this group of escapees from one of the Kingdoms.  They were disrespecting the forest in harmful ways and the mission turned into a kill mission.  While they were running them out, there was a woman in the back running with her three year old child.  The father came back and took his wife but not the kid... They left him as sacrifice to us, thinking we were demons and that we would spare them."  I looked up at her and continued a bit more.

"Well that stopped Prince cold.  The group escaped the forest alive and left this kid crying alone... That was me.  He came down the tree, picked me up and took me back home saying the outsiders were not worth the effort.  He took me to his father and like that they adopted me in.  We've nearly forty years now together, him as my big brother that picks fights with anyone who judges me heh."  I smiled looking at William, just thinking about Prince and how we've grown together.  How he and I became blood brothers in secret and have always been close.  "He may be scary but he's got a lot of heart."

"His face is scary." Liz mumbled and smiled a little at me. "I wish he'd stop glaring!"

I had to laugh at that, "That's his face, he can't help it hehe.  Unless he's reading a book."

"Well he should read more!" She said puffing her cheeks again.  I wanted to pinch one of them playfully, she's so adorable but I'd rather not make her feel uncomfortable.  Instead I just scratched the bear's head with a small smile because it was once mine.

"They gave me this bear when I missed my family, but I wouldn't trade anything for Prince and his family."  I spoke warmly, resting back on my arms again.

There was a puzzled look coming over her face while she thought. "You have been brothers for forty years?  You're forty-three?" She was smart I'll give her that.

"Well almost forty, I'm thirty eight." I forgot the Shadow's age are different.  They live twice as long as humans.  Even though I'm an outsider the ones who created the Shadow society, the wood elves, somehow gave me their life span.  It's a little frightening actually how Shadows age... they stop around forty and retain that until one day they just die with no warning.  This is if they don't die from wounds or sickness of course.

"You look like you're still a teen!" She answered cutting out my thoughts. "How old is Prince?" She was rather curious now.

I grinned, "He's old!" Prince walked in right when I said that, he had a questioning look.
"What about me?" He questioned with a raised eyebrow, making Liz smile.

"How old are you?"

Prince smiled and crossed his arms, "Seventy nine, I'll be eighty this year." He definitely had age on his face, mostly from the wars he's seen but you still wouldn't have guess his age.  Shadows live to about 160 on average.

(Disclaimer: Oh wait, it's not one!  I drew the picture myself. :D  It's the brothers.)