Sleep

Alright guys, this is going to be a short chapter, because I'm at a friend's house and she's taking a shower, so I have limited time. And me and her are going on a beach vacation for a week, so I won't be able to update until after....she's a writer too! Check her out-- CocaineSkiin

Song is a kickass one by the Neighbourhood, called Baby Came Home.

__________________________________________________________

Viva's POV

------------------------------

"So here's the plan," River's voice was tense. It had been several minutes since I got the phone call from Mike, and the gravity of the situation was starting to sink in. We were both thinking the same thing; there's no way we're going to get past both the gang and my agency.

"Since we left our home city, we've been pretty much making a circle, going from town to town. The gang never goes in circles, they spread out. So after tonight, in the morning we're circling back. We'll head back home, keep our heads low, and see what's going on. We'll stay with Presley. Then we'll leave again, opposite direction, and start over."

A moment passed. Outside my window, the night was dimly lit with the city lights, as we slowly drove towards the motel.

"River," I began. "The agency is in the city. They're going to be there if we go back."

"Yes, but aren't they everywhere? You said they have multiple centers. It won't be a hotspot, because they aren't looking for us there."

I shook my head. "Remember I said we're the B Agency? There's A, and C, and so on.  The B Agency is the only one looking for me, because it's not the other's concern. And the B building is in our city."

River was quiet for a minute. Then he sighed. "Vi, listen. Think for a second. The gang is everywhere. Literally, everywhere, and judging by the other night's attack, they're all looking for us. Not just my dad's section. But despite that, look at us. We're alive. We've been smart about this, which is how we haven't been killed. We can get in and out of the city."

Stressed, I ran a hand through my hair, pulling it away from my face. I thought aloud, still watching the window. "Well, they definitely won't be waiting for us. They all have a total douchebag attitude when it comes to finding someone. They assume they don't have to really even try, because the job is easy. And Mike said they aren't fully set on us right now."

"Then tomorrow is the perfect time to run in and out. While they're unfocused on us."

I glanced at River. The bruises on his face hadn't faded at all. The cuts seemed to look better, though.

I turned the rearview mirror towards me, pulling a face at what I saw. "River, there's a demon in the mirror."

Both eyes had dark, tired shadows cast under them. At least, I assume under the bruising around my left eye, there's sleepless shadows. The rest of my face was generally the same; purple bruise here, shallow cut there. 

River smirked at my comment. "It's not that bad."

"I look like roadkill." I turned the mirror away from me.

"Well, then you're sexy roadkill."

I shot him a look. He just kept his eyes on the road, holding back laughter.

I shoved him lightly on the shoulder, not anything more, since he was driving and it wouldn't really make the night if we veered off and crashed. "Jerk."

"We're here!" River said in a sarcastic cheery voice as we pulled into the motel parking lot.

"I forgot to mention. We aren't paying this time." River added, pulling the keys from the ignition and pocketing them. 

"Huh?" I looked at him blankly.

"We can't afford to keep paying to stay in motels or hotels every single night. So we're just going to break into a room. They all have their own doors." He pointed. All along the motel building, sliding glass doors lined the bottom, each leading to a different motel room.

I got out of the car, and he followed. "What if someone who actually rents out the room comes in while we're inside?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Let's just hope that doesn't happen."

I shook my head, starting towards one of the doors. The shades were pulled, but I could tell that all of the lights were off, so it was likely empty. "Such a master plan. Very solid."

"Hey, at least it's free." he countered, bumping his hip with mine as he walked in front of me.

He pulled on the door handle, and as expected, it didn't move. I waited, standing behind him.

"Here, you just need to pull a few times..." River put both of his hands on the handle, yanking it sideways. After a few times, there was a popping noise, and the door quietly slid open.

"Alright. Bed, now." I ordered, grabbing River's arm and pulling him inside. 

"Oh, I wasn't aware I have a bedtime now." He snorted, but let me pull him to the bed.

"I wasn't kidding when I said you're sleeping as soon as we get here. I don't think you've legitimately slept since we started this road trip."

He sighed. "Okay. Fine. You sleep too, then. You aren't much better off than me. Are your bandages okay?"

I waved him off, crawling into the bed and burrowing under the covers. I didn't care how dingy this motel bed is; a bed is a bed, and I was about to drop dead from exhaustion. 

River was still sitting up, on the other side, checking his phone. Rolling my eyes, I reached over, taking his wrist, and gently tugged, getting his attention.

The room was dark, so it was hard to see the color of his eyes. I knew exactly what they would look like, though.

"Bed." I whispered.

"Okay, okay." He set his phone down on the nightstand, then got under the covers, rolling over to face me.

Once he was still, I closed my eyes. "Goodnight."

The sheets rustled. He leaned over, softly kissing my cheek. "Come here."

I let him pull me closer, so that my head rested on his chest and his arm was wrapped around me. I sighed in relief. Here was a time I could really let my guard down. 

His heartbeat was like a lullaby, lulling me closer and closer to the edge of sleep.

I remembered his words, earlier tonight. His eyes, honest and begging. His walls completely down, letting me in.

Don't leave. Stay with me. When all of this is over....

When all of this is over, I'll probably be dead. He has a chance, since the agency isn't after him. But for me? The reality is this; there's no chance. 

His heartbeat slowed, as did his breath. Finally, he was letting himself sleep.

Imagine if his heartbeat stopped. Imagine him not making it.

See, that's not an option. No matter what happens to me, I'm not letting that happen. I pulled him into this, so it's my fault if anything happens to him. And anyway, it's River. He can't die.

I'm sure he can live without me, but I sure as hell can't live without him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't kidding. it's short......

But, at least I updated! And expect a new chapter after next Saturday. :))

Y'all gotta thank Bekka, aka CocaineSkiin for letting me borrow her computer. 

Even though this is a lame chapter, I would loooove some comments and votes. Pwease. (puppy eyes)

Okay bye! Wish me luck at the beach!