The Phone Call

RYAN'S POV

I was woken up by the sound of my cell phone ringing. I picked it up and groaned when I saw who was calling. MacKenzie. I silently got out of bed and crept out of the room. I almost stood on Kayla, who was sleeping on the floor. I felt guilty because she insisted that I sleep in her bed until I got better. As I walked downstairs, I read the bajillion text messages MacKenzie sent me. It was hard for me to walk, because my legs were hurting so much. When I finally sat on the couch, the pain went away. I answered the call.

"What do you want, Mackenzie?" I asked.

"I want you to take me back!" She demanded in a harsh voice. It sounded like she had been crying.

"No." I said simply.

"Ryan you said that you loved me."

"Yeah I did. Until I saw you kissing another guy!" It was silent for a moment.

"W-we weren't actually kissing! I was bit on the mouth by a snake and he was sucking out the venom! He saved my life!"

"MacKenzie, I'm not an idiot. But I would be if I even thought about taking you back." Woah. I didn't plan on saying that. It just came out. I heard MacKenzie start to sob quietly.

"Ryan you can't mean that."

"I do." I thought that she was going to burst into tears, but instead she screamed at me.

"RYAN MATTHEWS YOU GET YOUR BUTT OVER TO MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW!" She demanded.

"This is another reason why I'm not getting back together with you. You're always so demanding."

"Ryan-"

"Goodbye MacKenzie." I hung up and turned my phone off. Why couldn't she just forget about it? We broke up like, a month ago. But no, she still wasn't over it. I sighed.

"Ryan?" I heard a soft voice ask. I turned around and saw Kayla standing at the bottom of the stairs. "I could hear you from upstairs. Is everything ok?" She came and sat down beside me.

"See for yourself." I handed her my phone so she could read the conversations between MacKenzie and I. When I gave her the phone, she looked like she wasn't sure wether she should take it or not. When she took it from my hands, she stared at it with a confused look on her face, like the text conversation was a puzzle she was trying to figure out.

"Kayla?" I asked after a couple minutes. She looked up at me.

"Um, sorry."

"Did you read it?" She didn't reply for a couple seconds.

"No. It's just that... I'm dyslexic so I couldn't really read it." Dyslexic? Was that all? She was acting like she had some big killer disease and she only had a week to live.

"Oh. I understand. My uh, brother, was dyslexic..." I tried to make her feel better. I could tell that she really didn't like having dyslexia.

"Cool. Anyway, what happened between you and MacKenzie?" I told her about the phone call. But soon I found myself blabbing about everything else MacKenzie did. But Kayla listened like she understood what I was going through.

"You can't just keep on talking to her. Delete her from your contacts. Don't text her again. Delete all her messages. If she phones you, ignore it."

"And you're sure that it'll work?"

"Well, it worked for me after I-" she stopped herself. I could tell that she didn't want to talk about whatever she was going to say. "So, what did she say when you caught her kissing someone else?"