CHAPTER xi

Nicki's POV

Rih had been avoiding me, but I didn't care. Or at least that's what I've been telling myself. She hadn't even been to third period all this week and if there was one class she didn't skip it was third period. She's so fucking stupid.

"Who?" the new boy Bryson asked me.

"Huh?"

"Who's so fucking stupid?" he leaned over and whispered so the teacher wouldn't hear us.

"No one," I sighed, not realizing I had said that out loud.

He chuckled a small 'oh' before doodling on the cover of his notebook. He was cute, he had moved here from Kentucky about a month ago and was real to himself so the fact that he was even talking to me now was kind of weird.

"Okay everyone, I'm about to hand out a worksheet of logarithm problems. Grab a partner to work with until the bell rings, then turn in what you have."

Bryson looked towards me and raised his eyebrow as if he were silently asking if I wanted to work with him. I answered him by scooting my desk closer right before the teacher placed the paper on our conjoined desks.

"You're Onika, right?"

"Yeah, well... What have you heard before I fully confirm that?"

He chuckled exposing a gold grill on his bottom row of teeth, his top row was as white as the new Nike Air Force 1's on his feet.

"Good things, how you practically run this place. Is that true?"

"No, not at all," I giggled.

"They seem to think so," he pointed his pencil to some of the senior boys on the varsity basketball team that were looking our way and whispering to each other in the front of the room. "I think you may be too modest."

"Well, I don't like to toot my own horn, but..."

"Toot toot," he finished.

"You're mad corny," I cackled and he shrugged with a smile as he printed both of our names on the sheet neatly.

He was very intelligent, we finished the twenty five problems in under ten minutes, beating everyone else. For the rest of the class we just talked, he told me he was a singer and into nerdy shit like Dragon Ball Z which you wouldn't guess by his almost intimidating appearance. He always wore his hat low and like Robyn he had tattoos in the most visible of places such as his hands, but he was really nice and chill. We exchanged phone numbers just right as the bell rang and parted with a friendly hug.

Third period was a bore and of course Robyn didn't show up, but it was cool because I was texting Bryson most of the class. It wasn't even a flirty conversation, his commentary was just entertaining as hell. He, for good reason wasn't fond of our fellow classmates.

"What you all smiley for?" Amber asked sucking on a red lollipop.

"I'm having a good day."

"Yeah, whatever. But I won't push it because you've been having this stank ass attitude all week," she smiled as we walked to her car. I rolled my eyes playfully. After all these years it was still funny to hear Amber say hood things since her voice was so proper and Valley  Girl-ish.

"Chyna not getting lunch with us?"

"Nope, she said something about... To be honest I don't know, but she said no. I wasn't listening all that hard."

I laughed at her antics but couldn't call her out because I was too wrapped up in my phone to listen either.

-----------------------------------------