CHAPTER viii

Nicki's POV

We were just cruising around the city in Tae's Mercedes Benz with the top down, having nothing to do. I ended up not telling her or asking her for advice, and I didn't wanna sit in the house dwelling on whatever it was that had just happened. The music was loud as she blasted Fetty Wap's RGF Island, we sung along goofily as we came to a red light.

Tae turned the music down and looked at me. "Can I ask you something?" I gulped, but nodded my head... I wanted to hop out the car now, and I could.... Fuck, the light turned green. She kept her focus on the road, both hands on her steering wheel before she sighed.

"Why don't you feel like its okay to talk to me?"

"I-I-I," I groaned, "its not you Tae. I'm just... I don't know. That's not our family dynamic."

"But we're sisters, Oni. I would never tattle on you just like I know you would never snitch on me. I'm back for a little over a month and I just wanted that to change, because I have so much to tell you and I can't be comfortable doing that if you can't even introduce your girlfriend to me as your girlfriend."

I gasped, "how?"

"C'mon, Onika. Don't play me for a fool, I'm 20 years old. I know what post-sex looks like, and both of you had fresh hickies. Not to mention your bed was unmade and you never invite someone over if your room is a mess."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Its not my place to do that. I'm not gonna reprimand you like mommy and daddy. Everyone has needs... Damn I have needs and no one's meeting those since Drew and I broke up."

"Wait who the hell is Drew?"

"This no good trifling nigga that... Don't worry, you'll never meet him and be lucky for that."

I laughed at how serious her face was, before realizing I needed to correct her.

"Hey, Robyn isn't my girlfriend by the way. I don't know what we are but, she's not my girlfriend."

"Been there before," she laughed.

"With a girl?"

"Hell no! I'm not that adventurous, I've just known what its like to play relationship limbo."

"I'm over it," I half lied. The situation still pissed me off, I don't even know what I did.

"Hey do you wanna go to this little get together?"

"Sure... Where to, my little Oni?"

"The Carters' mansion."

"Just tell me its not only gonna be high schoolers."

"When do the Carters ever just hang around high schoolers, they've been too cool for that since they started high school."

"Good point," she laughed as she drove through the open gates and into the full driveway.

We got out the car and made the trek to the front door, we knocked but no one could hear us over the loud music.

"And this nigga said just like twenty people," I mumbled before deciding to just walk in. The house was filled with smoke and moving bodies, Cole was sitting on the staircase with Aubrey, Rocky, Zendaya, Robyn, Mac, and some girl with tattoos I hadn't met before. They were passing around about four blunts and were high as hell.

"Hey, I decided to drop by after all," I ignored Robyn's presence behind Cole.

"I knew you'd make it 'round these parts eventually," he said laughing, dapping Aubrey, "Oh shit is that Tae Tae all grown up on ya boy?!"