Fallout

Kakashi's POV

The apartment is quiet. Quiet, like it has been for weeks. I'm used to this silence. Akari hasn't been up to making noise in the morning, and I've learned to live with that. But this silence... it feels different. Empty, even.

I slide out of bed, pulling my mask up over my face. Stretching, I make my way to Akari's room, intent on getting her up before noon today. "Akari, it's time to--"

She's not here.

Her room is empty, the sheets on her bed tossed around wildly and crumpled, as though she was flailing around. Her sandals are kicked against the door, where she probably left them last night, her clothes tossed at the foot of her bed.

I would think she just left early without telling me if not for two reasons. One, Akari never leaves without saying goodbye. Two, she left Masaki's headband behind. It sits on her nightstand beside her own, untouched since yesterday. She's had it with her every time she leaves the apartment for weeks. She wouldn't just leave it behind for no reason.

Which means she didn't leave of her own free will.

And what's more, this chakra residue... it isn't just Akari's. I don't recognize it, but it feels off. Like it's been modified. Like how Sasuke's chakra felt while the Curse Mark was acting up. But it isn't Sasuke's.

"Orochimaru..."

***

Third Person POV

(Hokage's Office)

Lady Tsunade slumps at her desk, her dizzying headache enough to make the room spin continuously. Piles of paperwork the size of a small child sit untouched to her right. Every single piece of paper needs her signature by the end of the day, and she hadn't begun at all.

This is what she gets for spending the night before drinking, well past midnight.

Shizune enters, ready to warmly greet her mentor. But she sees the sorry state the Hokage is in, and loses all traces of sympathy. Clutching Tonton closer to her, she trides forward and stands directly in front of Tsunade's desk, a stern glare etched onto her features.

"Lady Tsunade! You can't sleep off your hangover now!" she admonishes. The blonde woman only grunts and drops her head onto the desk, blocking out the stinging light.

"Honestly," Shizune sighs, shaking her head. "I told you making that bet was a bad idea. You may hold liqour well. but ten bottles of sake? You were never going to survive that!"

Shizune continues to go on and on about the Fifth's bad habits, but Tsunade drowns her out, rubbing her temples to drive away the pounding in her head.

Then someone poofs in.

"Lady Tsunade," a breathless Kakashi says, quickly bowing. "We've got a problem--"

The door is suddenly thrown open, and Sakura, tears streaming down her haggard face, dashes in, nearly slamming into Tsunade's desk. "Lady Tsunade!" she cries, oblivious to the others in the room. "Sasuke! H-H-He's gone to Orochimaru!!"

"....."

"......"

"....... Oh shit."

That's Kakashi.

Tsunade rises to her feet, slamming her palms down on the desk. "This is unnacceptable!" she declares. "We're going to get that traitorous bastard back! Any means necessary!'

"Shizune!" she snaps, and her assistant jumps. Tonto squeals quietly, burrowing into her arms for protection. "Get Shikamaru in here right now!'

"Hai, Lady Tsunade!"