Unexpected Meeting

"Akari..."

I groan and throw my arm over my eyes, blocking out the sudden light.

"Akari..."

Who the hell is interrupting my sleep?! If they call out one more time I'll--

"Akari!"

"The hell is wrong with you!" I shout, jack knifing to my feet. And then I blink. At Haku's giggling face.

"Haku!" I cry, crushing him in a hug. He returns it warmly, gently wrapping his slim arms around me. "I thought I might never see you again..."

"I know," he says in his soft voice, letting me lean back. "I heard what you said at my grave, and I'm very sorry. But, like I said before, this is very difficult and it took me until just now to reach you. Zabuza was unable to come, I'm afraid."

I pout at that. The Demon of the Mist was someone I was hoping to see, even if he is dead. "Well anyway," I say, throwing off my disappointment and smiling widely. "I'm just happy to see you again, Haku." I pause, old thoughts and suspicions coming back to me. "There's something I wanted to ask you..."

A low groan from somewhere behind me catches my attention and I spin around, curious instead of afraid. Haku smiles over my shoulder at... Gaara?

The hell?

He's lying in the snow on his back, missing his gourd. I guess that would be uncomfortable to lie on. Gah, that's not the point!

"Why is he here?" I ask Haku, not upset exactly. Just confused. I was under the impression that the only people in this little world would be me, Haku and Zabuza.

Haku continues smiling. "Gaara of the Desert, if I'm correct?" he asks, and I nod. "Yes, this is my doing. I allowed his soul to travel here, to this place, along with yours."

"But why?"

"I felt it was necessary for you two to share this experience. On another point, I have to say, his spirit is surprisingly warm, despite his past. Much like yours, actually, Akari." He smiles, like this information is supposed to mean something to me. "Ok...?" I reply, standing and walking over to the barely conscious Sand Genin.

I crouch over him, shaking his shoulder gently. His eyes blink open slowly. "Akari...?" he says groggily. I blink. He's never sounded groggy before. How weird.

"Hey Gaara," I say, helping him sit up. "Welcome to the Netherworld!" I say brightly. His stares at me blankly, not comprehending.

"Akari!" Haku calls, sounding slightly annoyed. "I never once called this place the Netherworld and you are aware of that!"

I snicker a little.

"Who is that?" Gaara asks, nodding towards Haku, still kneeling in his Mist Village attire. "And why does he... she... look like you?"

I smirk a little, remembering how he so bluntly defended me earlier when Tazuna implied that either Haku looks girlish, or that I look boyish. I was happy for his support then, and now.

"That's Haku," I say, smiling pleasantly. "He's... my brother?"

Haku grins softly, nodding his head to me, while Gaara narrows his eyes. Ok, explanation time.

"Well, he's only just confirmed it for me but.... Haku is the boy from the Yuki Clan that died a few months ago. As far as I know, the only other member of our Clan, besides me."

Haku's sad dark eyes only confirm my fears.

"He sometimes visits me in my dreams, like I said. And he kept hinting about something I just couldn't figure out. But now... I know. I felt the exact same way sitting in front of your grave as I did sitting in front of the Memorial Stone in Konoha. Like I'd lost my brother."