Bitter Tears

I run until my legs give out beneath me. I collapse onto the hard ground, tears blurring my already poor vision. The light of the moon barely offers any details of my surroundings.

I am lost.

In more ways than one.

How could they do this to me? How could they lie for twelve years? What kind of love is that? False love. It was never real. For twelve years, I was made to believe I had a loving family who would never keep things from me, who would never do anything to hurt me.

And now I know the truth.

What they thought of as keeping me safe has given me the greatest emotional wound I have ever suffered. I am not Akari Kita. She died the moment I asked the question, "Who is my father?"

Now, I don't know who I am, who I was. I don't know anymore.

I pull myself up only enough to lean back against a building, my knees up to my chest, my arms wrapped around my legs. I cry into my knees, feeling hollow and alone.

***

TEMARI

"Kankuro, have you seen Gaara?" I ask, becoming anxious. My little brother was in his room not ten minutes ago. Now the room is empty, the window thrown open.

Kankuro pokes his head around the door, squinting at the open window. "He wouldn't..." he starts. But we know he would. Gaara doesn't care about our Village's plan. He only wants to satisfy his lust for blood.

"Should we go after him?" I ask, turning to fully face my brother. He rubs his chin, careful not to smudge any of his purple face-paint. "We'd just be putting ourselves in danger," he replies with a sigh. I know he's right. But I can't help thinking about Akari, still in the hospital. She was so weak the last time I saw her, just a few days ago. And now Gaara seems to have this special interest in her that rivals that of the interest he has in Sasuke Uchiha. What if he goes after her...?

"Don't tell Baki," Kankuro instructs, pulling me from my thoughts. "He'll only get mad at us for not watching Gaara better."

I sigh. "You're right, and I won't. I don't feel like being yelled at right now."

I cross the room to Gaara's window, staring out into the darkened night. The moon was full during the second Exam; it'll be full the night before the finals begin. Gaara's always so much worse during the full moon. It's like the Sand Spirit inside him somehow weakens the seal's hold on him during that time, and Gaara nearly always goes on a rampage. If he doesn't kill at least a few people, he turns on us, his family.

I shudder, remembering the last time it happened. If Father hadn't shown up...

I rest my arms on the windowsill, leaning out slightly. The cool night air feels good after my training this afternoon. It wasn't much; just going through my Wind Style Jutsu to sharpen my skills.

I have to say, I like Konoha. It's never really hot, despite it being in the Land of Fire, and the nights aren't bitter cold like they are at home. If we weren't here for just a ridiculous purpose, I could actually enjoy my time here. Though talking with Akari always seems to make me feel better, even if I feel twice as guilty afterwards. What would she think of me if I told her? She's already said she doesn't trust me. Has that changed? And if so, will it change again when she finds out my real reason for participating in the Chunin Exams?

I sigh again as Kankuro comes to stand beside me. "Why are you in such a bad mood?" he questions, leaning his back against the sill. "I just don't understand why we have to carry out this mission," I say, and he rolls his eyes. "Because the Kazekage ordered us to, duh," Kankuro says cheekily, making me want to smack him with my fan.