Reaching the Tower

I feel cold all over.

I blink open my eyes to a startling whiteness.

Snow. This is snow.

But there is no snow in Konoha. We're in the Land of Fire. Of course there's no snow. So why is it staring me in the face right now?

I sit up, holding a hand to my pounding forehead. Why do I ache so much anyway? Oh. Oh yeah! I was fighting those Ninja...

So why am I here?

"Akari?"

I look up at the sound of the strange voice. It came from a boy not much taller than me, with his hair done up in a bun holder, in an outfit that looks like it's from the Village Hidden in the Mist.

"Who are you?" I ask, scrambling to my feet. The boy, who is probably around Masaki's age, smiles at me. "My name is Haku," he says pleasantly.

"Where am I?" I ask, looking around. All I see are trees and snow and more trees and more snow. I don't recognize any of it.

"You're dreaming," Haku says. "So do not worry about anything. How are you feeling?"

"Like I got the crap beat out of me," I mutter, leaning back against a tree, and immediately regret it. The bark is freezing, and I'm already cold enough.

"I am sorry to hear that," Haku says. "But it is unsurprising that you discovered your kekkei genkai during such a traumatic fight."

I blink, knowing I've heard him wrong. "Kekkei genkai?" I echo. "I don't have a kekkei genkai."

Haku laughs breezily, his black hair caught in a slight breeze, blowing gently in front of his pretty face. I normally wouldn't describe boys as pretty, but he is, with his delicate features and large dark-brown eyes. But I have no doubt that he's a boy. I don't know why; I just do.

"Why am I dreaming about a boy I've never met?" I ask, seeing as how he won't answer my previous question. Haku smiles. "My spirit was allowed to reach you, now that you've come across your ability."

"Sprirt? Does that... does that mean you're dead?"

Haku's smile doesn't waver. "I am," he says. "But do not worry. I am happy in my current place. I have a friend here."

"Where is here exactly?"

"That I cannot tell you."

I huff, crossing my arms over my chest. A question I've been wondering about for years, and even a freaking spirit can't give me the answer.

Haku laughs again. I like his laugh. It's almost as pretty as his appearance.

"Please, do not be angry, Akari," he says. "If I could tell you I would, but I am not allowed. Now, about your kekkei genkai. It's called the Ice Release kekkei genkai, and I'm sure you've already seen what it can do in the heat of battle."

"Those jutsu..." I say slowly. "The ones I didn't recognize. Where did they come from?"

"Those are ones I lent you. You should be able to use them now on your own."

"What does that mean?"

"For a brief moment in time, I took control of your spirit and directed your movements."

"Like the Mind Transer Jutsu?"

"I suppose, though I'm not alive, and it is much harder for me to do."

"Then why do it?"

"In due time, Akari, in due time."

"Hey! Haku! Get your ass over here!"