Chunin Exam Round Three: Let the Training Montage Begin! (eh, not really)

I blink open my eyes, still frowning.

I didn't dream of Haku and Zabuza.

I was hoping to talk to Haku about all this crap, but maybe he couldn't reach me. He made it sound like he's only able to talk to me sometimes.

I sit up slowly, still feeling miserable from last night. My chest aches with a fierceness I wasn't expecting. I feel hollow and depressed. My "family" lied to me, then I find out I'm from a Clan that's practically wiped out, then I realize the only other member of that Clan I've ever heard about is dead.

Haku... why couldn't we have met in life? Why did you have to die before I found you?

I drop my head into my hands, feeling tears prick the back of my eyes again. I've had enough of crying, but I can't help it. My body needs to vent out some of these crushing emotions, and crying is the best way to do it.

After a while, when my eyes are finally dry, I swing my legs to the ground, my feet dropping onto the cold floor. I rub my eyes as I stand. Then I look around.

Wait. Where the hell am I?

...................................................................................

Oh. That's right. Temari and Kankuro found me last night while I was crying, and then I fell asleep here.

Crap!!

I rush over to the open window, blinking the dark spots from my eyes as peer into the sunlight. I look up, searching for the sun. It's fairly high in the sky, but not quite noon yet. I sigh, shaking my head. I slept for too long. I should get going. Maybe Shino needs help with his training...

"Hey, you."

I flinch, recognizing the cold voice from above me. I look up again, but all I see is sand, slowly disappearing from the rooftop. Am I hearing things?

I turn around... and fall out the window in shock.

Yes, I actually fall out the window, landing on my back in the dirt, my legs sticking up vertically, one foot caught on the edge of the window.

Well this is great. If he didn't already think I was a weak coward, this would've sealed the deal.

"Well hello there, Gaara of the Desert," I say, hiding my fear with obnoxious sarcasm. "Fancy meeting you here. Good-looking morning, isn't it?"

All he does is stare at me, his black-rimmed eyes narrowed.

"You must be really fun on dates," I mutter, scrambling to my feet.

 I dust myself off, wincing when I brush a small gash on my leg. I must have cut it on a rock or something when I fell last night. Can't hurt any more than the pain in my chest, though, so it's not big deal.

"Are you going to say something or are you going to stare at me all day?" I demand, glaring at Gaara, but not meeting his eyes. I'm afraid I'll freeze in terror if I try to.

Without answering, Gaara disappears in a cloud of sand, leaving me glaring at an empty window.

"And what makes this so much worse is that he's the one who called out to me," I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest defiantly. Who am I defying? I have no idea.

"Hey, Akari!"

Temari enters the room I just fell out of, looking around for me. She frowns, until she spots me leaning my arms on the windowsill. "What are you doing out there?" she asks.

"Nothing," I say casually, shrugging like I'm not just standing outside the window of her hotel. She blinks. I sigh and climb back inside, walking over to her.