Shadows in the Sand

THIRD PERSON

The three remaning ANBU Black Ops stare solemnly at the purple-black barrier now separating them from the Third Hokage, and the demon snake Orochimaru. The fourth ANBU is somewhere below them, having attacked the barrier first, and suffered the consequences by bursting into flames and flying from the roof.

"This isn't good," one says, his eyes flicking to the four Sound Ninja keeping the barrier intact. "I know," replies the captain. "But there isn't much we can do about it. We can only pray Third Hokage has the strength to beat his former student."

Inside the barrier, Orochimaru, still dressed as the Kazekage, holds a kunai to Third Hokage's throat, smiling devilishly. "I was so hoping to take the Uchiha boy while Gaara was causing trouble," he says, his lips forming an unbelievable pout. "But sometimes things don't go according to plan."

"You're here for the Sharingan then," Third Hokage says, his eyes on his once prized pupil. The snake laughs. "Of course," he hisses gleefully. "Only the best will do for my purposes, and Sasuke is certainly a delicious speciman. Though, of course, he isn't the only reason I've come to the Leaf."

"Do you intend to conquer Konoha and rule as its Kage then?"

Another bout of hissing laughter escapes the snake's lips. "Conquer Konoha?" he laughs. "This petty little Village is not worth what you think, Sarutobi Sensei. No, I made my strike here in the Leaf Village for another reason. There's a certain little girl who has caught my eye in recent times."

"Little girl?" Third Hokage questions, his mind whirling with the possibilities. What little girl could be so special that Orochimaru would want to come after her? Hiruzen pitied the poor girl already.

"I've heard she's one of the last remaining of her clan," Orochimaru says slowly, in a deliberate manner than makes the Third Hokage grit his teeth in anticpation. "And such talent! Oh yes, the Yuki girl will make a fine edition as one of my test subje-- I mean, subordinates." He smiles cruelly as Hiruzen's eyes widen in recognition.

He could not--would not--allow Orochimaru, monster that he is, to have little Akari. Or Sasuke Uchiha. The thought of such young Ninja, the future of the Village and the holders of the Will of Fire, in the hands of such a sick, sadistic demon... It would be unforgiveable to allow such a thing.

No, the Third Hokage would not deliver the children into Orochimaru's outstretched hands. He would do what he hoped he would never have to, what he should have done years ago. He will kill Orochimaru with his own two hands, and end the misery that he could have prevented so long ago...

***

AKARI

Just as I make it back to Kakashi and Guy, Naruto, Shikamaru, a dog and Sakura leap through a hole in the wall and out into the Village. I pause, wondering, despite what's going on, what they can be doing at a time like this. Then, I'm thrust back into reality when a Sound Ninja jumps at me. Acting on impulse alone, I draw a kunai and, sidestepping his lunge, thrust it into his heart. He goes limp and falls to the ground in a crumbled heap.

I hop over him and approach Kakashi Sensei, who is whirling around, nailing enemy after enemy. His headband, normally covering his left eye, is pulled up, revealing a blood-red eye that makes me gasp upon seeing it.

"Kakashi Sensei!" I exclaim, ducking beneath another Ninja's attack. "Where the heck did you get the Sharingan?!"

He creates a clone of himself to dispatch another enemy and turns to me. I can't be sure, but it looks like, beneath that look of determination and intelligence, there's sadness in Kakashi's red eye. "A dying friend gave me a gift," he says shortly, though not meanly. "Now the more important question: Can you fight?"