Chapter 1

Alec’s POV

        I hadn’t ever felt so much pain in my life and just as I thought things could be great it all fell apart just as the world seemed to be. I walked through the cool, dark abandoned subway that hadn’t been used in ages, watching my fingers run against the brick as if they were not my own. Everything I saw was like a movie and I was just a single person in the audience at that sad movie. I watched through a lover’s eyes as he tried to temper with life to become immortal so he could stay with his partner forever. Literally forever. A lifetime of growing old was not enough because he knew if he did not become immortal, his partner would move on and love another. There was jealousy and an undying love.Then, there was an offer to make his partner mortal once again as he, himself, did not want to become mortal through black magic or vampirism. Even though he declined the offer, his lover still found out and was angry that he even considered it. He watched as the young man blinded by love was kissed for the last time by his boyfriend. Then it was over. At one moment they had been everything together and now they were nothing and it was his entire fault. His fault they were apart, he was so selfish and greedy. How could he not have accepted the time he had with his partner? And it was so hard to admit that that person was me.

            I hadn’t realized I was in the bustling city of New York until someone bumped into me which nearly knocked me over. They shouted something at me which probably contained some profane words but I didn’t give a damn. I kept thinking of him. Magnus. I could never find someone else like him. I could never find someone with the same catlike eyes, and odd personality that seemed to always put a smile on my face. Even though he was a little outrageous he made my stomach knot up and sprout butterflies every time I had seen him. He had accepted me for who I was.

            My walk through the city was a blur of odd noises, neon lights, and music coming from the nearby clubs. I didn’t want to go to the institute; it would be too hard to face the others. Especially my parabatai, Jace. 

                                                            Abbey's POV

            I walked down the streets of NYC looking for some sort of club to go into. I was bored and had a night off of work so why not party? I walked down the street trying to find the club my friends were at, but the problem was I had no idea what the name of it was. Maybe that was a good thing though as I didn’t feel like seeing my friends right now. 

            I kept on walking down the long strip of clubs until my feet began to ache and that’s when I realized I wasn’t in the best part of the city. In fact it was one of the worst parts to be filled with drug dealers and prostitutes. I had no clue where I was and was extremely afraid to ask for directions.

            “Hey miss. Care forasmoke?” The man’s words were slurred and he offered me some sort of drug. I pushed his hand away and he said back to me while spinning around in circles, “You’re missing the best thing ever.”

            Not really, I thought to myself. I crumbled to the ground and sat to rest, but that ten minutes turned into hours as sleep sneakily slipped into my body. It wasn’t exactly the best sleep ever but it was sleep all the same, an escape from the world.

                                                            Alec’s POV

            This part of town I wouldn’t usually find myself in but strangely I did tonight. The nearest street sign read Paragon Boulevard. I had been walking for hours and hours in the city. My thoughts wandered and wandered but always found themselves wandering back to Magnus. “Magnus.” The syllables formed on my lips and slipped out of my mouth as a hurt whisper.

            “Even though my feet burned with pain I kept walking and figured I would let the physical pain go on as I would be in never ending emotional pain for the time being. I scared myself as I tripped over something hard. A rock? In the middle of the street? No, wait. A girl. She must have been sleeping because she yelped in pain.

            “I’m…I’m…so…” I couldn’t even speak. Why couldn’t I speak?

            “Sorry?” She finished my statement. She looked up at me with innocent hazel eyes. My eyes searched her. For what? I’m not sure. She had shoulder length brown hair with hot pink streaks mixed in. She wore a black hoodie and black skinny jeans with combat boots. Some people may have considered her Goth, but she was beautiful to me. Maybe if I had liked girls I would have considered her quite attractive, as her body was perfect. Why was I thinking like this anyway?

            “What are you staring at?” She asked me. “You aren’t one of those male prostitutes are you?” She asked again.

            “No..no.” I stuttered. “I don’t like girls that way.” Had I really just confessed that to her?

            “Oh. I understand.” She said.  “Is something wrong?” She asked with real concern that I could tell wasn’t fake. Just then I realized that a single tear ran down my face from the corner of my eye and down my cheekbone. I quickly wiped it away.

            “No. I will be fine, just…”

            “Just what?”

            “Why do you even care anyway? I don’t even know you. You could do me a favor and tell me to get the hell away from you like other people do so I could get on with my life.” I said hurtfully to her, although it didn’t seem like the words affected her at all.

            “Why would I do that? You don’t have to tell me anything, it’s just that if you do tell me I might be able to understand and bear any pain with you.”

            “What?” She wanted to understand?

            “Like I said you don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to.”

            Another tear streamed down my face and this time I didn’t try to hide it. “I lost him, he broke up with me and it was all my fault. My fault. I was so damn stupid.”

            “Maybe it wasn’t meant to be.” She stated plainly.

            “But we had everything and the worst part is I still love him.”

            Silence. I slid to the ground and began to cry. I tried to hold the tears back but it burned my throat so badly to do so. I leaned my head on her shoulder even though I did not know her. Even though I had only said less than one hundred words to her and within those words I had spilled my feelings to her which I never did with anyone. At all. Except maybe Jace.