We're going camping

"No way, she's mine," Asher said laughing. Brayden rolled his eyes. He had just invited me to the movies. It had been two days since we invited him to stay.

"So do you wanna go?" He asked. Of course I wanted to go, but I was planning on going riding this afternoon.

"Actually I was going riding this afternoon. Maybe make a fire and hang out there tonight. Maybe you two just want to hang out there with me?"

"I don't know. How far out are you planning on going?"

"Just up the mountain a ways," I said he looked hesitant. "Not too far."

"Who's horse am I taking," he asked smiling.

"Take Ashley. I'm gonna stay here. You two go ahead." Asher said. I smiled. Ashley was the black Clydesdale with white socks and a white nose.

"I'll take Andy of course," I said still smiling. Andy was my horse. He was all black with big brown eyes. CC was Dawns. The youngest horse. Black with one white sock and a white ear. Ashley was Asher's. There were five horses. All male. All Clydesdales. All named after the black veil brides.

"Take Jake too. Sometimes Ashley can be a little ill-tempered. There's a lead in the barn under his shelf." Asher said. Jake was a brown Clydesdale with black socks and an ever messy mane. No matter what we try it's always a big beautiful mess. The other horse was Jinxx. A big white Clydesdale with two black socks and a black circle on his eye. His mane was a light grayish color and his tail was white.

"Let's go pack!" I shouted running up the stairs. I heard Asher laugh. I grabbed my hiking bag and shoved all the clothes I would need and my blanket with two pillows and my travel phone charger. I was running out of my room when I ran right into Brayden again.

"Stop standing where I'm running," I said stepping back.

"I was hoping to fall onto you again," he said laughing before grabbing my hand and pulling my feet from under me with his leg. He lowered me to the ground and sat beside me. I looked over at him and tried to sit up. He laughed and put his leg over my chest. I tried to sit up but couldn't.

"You have a fat leg," I huffed like a child. He chuckled.

"Why thank you," he said. I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Just to be mean. And what should I pack?"

"A blanket, a pillow, clothes, extra socks and the usual stuff. I'll get the rest... as soon as you let me up... let me up..." I said. He nodded but didn't move. I reached down and bit his leg. He jerked back shouting and laughing. I stood up with my bag and walked downstairs. Asher was packing our saddle bags with food. He was so sweet.

"Thanks" I said as he handed them to me. He nodded and hid a two liter Mello Yello in my bag.

Best. Friend. Ever.

"Horses are ready," he smiled.

"Aw thanks, Asher." I said as we walked out. Ashley huffed and stomped. He hated saddles unless we were moving. Andy pulled at his rope. He hated being tied up. Jake was focused on a nearby bush he had to stretch to reach.

"Not a problem," he smiled as he tied the saddle bags with me. Brayden came out carrying a bag and a coat. I laughed.

"You know it's not cold right?" I laughed.

"I don't like rain." He mumbled. We got onto out horses and Asher tied the lengthy lead of Jakes to Andy's saddle.

"Be careful guys. The gun is on Andy's saddle in case you run into trouble." We walked for an hour in silence as we made our way to the hill. When we were at the foot of the mountain I stopped. Ashley had behaved himself but Brayden didn't seem very comfortable on the horse.

"You alright Brayden?" I asked when he caught up to me.

"Yeah, just been thinking. What kind of trouble you think we'll run into up there?" He asked as we started moving again.

"Well, there's the wildlife for one. And then he's worried I may be uncomfortable around you. I don't know why Asher would think that means it's okay to shoot you." I said rolling my eyes.

"Are you uncomfortable around me?"

"No," I said smiling. "Asher just worries."

"Are you gonna shoot me?"

"I might," I said laughing.

We rode for about two more hours just laughing and talking when we were almost a fourth of the way up the mountain, we came upon a little creek. I started to cross with the horses and Brayden shouted for me.

"Yes?"

"I... I'm not sure..." he struggled for words.

"Well c'mon," I shouted. He dropped his eyes to the water. "Have you ever taken a horse across water?"

"No." He said shrugging. I looked up at the sky. It was a bit past noon.

"Ashley likes water. It's not deep just bring him forward a bit. He knows what he's doing, okay?" I said. Ashley loved water. He stayed in it. Brayden moved ashley forward and Ashley went on through the water with out any help from Brayden. I brought Andy up to meet him.

"Lunch time?" I asked like a child. Brayden smiled.

"Alright," he said getting off his horse.

I tied the horses to a line in the trees in a grassy area near the water and poured some feed on the ground. I grabbed one of the saddle bags and walked to where Brayden was laying out a small quilt for us to sit on.

We quietly ate lunch. I was hungrier than I thought. We gathered our things, let the horses get one last drink and headed off.

About an hour of his silence and I started to worry about Brayden. Is he mad at me?

I looked back at him. He was staring off in space. Lost in thought. Just letting Ashley follow me. I sighed.

"There's another creek about a mile up ahead. We'll set up a camp there." I hollered to him. He looked up and nodded, giving no intimation of his mood. Just went back to his blank thoughtful stare.

We stayed there in silence. Earlier he was so sweet and kept making me laugh. I couldn't understand the change.