Kitchen floors and Comfy friends

I gathered the dishes from breakfast and the others went into the living room. I understood they were trying to help but I wanted a moment alone. I washed the dishes lost in thought. I sat on the ground and rested my head on my knees. What did I do for my uncle, a man who watched me grow up, to hurt me like that?

I couldn't catch my breath. My leg was sore and the cut on my shoulder hurt when my bra strap rubbed it. I was lucky nothing else was hurt. It almost ended a lot worse. I wanted to go to Asher and just sit and cry a while like I always did. Dawn and Brayden were here, so instead I sat on the kitchen floor, crying as quietly as I could. I had never been with any one and yesterday my uncle was almost my first.

It was a strange thought. I didn't want him to be my first. What did I do to him? I heard the kitchen door open and stood up, trying to hide my face and pretending to do dishes. He stood there for a minute. Seeing through it.

"It's alright that you were crying, Daisy, I don't know how you waited till now," Brayden said softly. I shrugged.

"I wasn't crying." I said trying to sound natural. He stepped closer.

"I know you were." He said. He was standing beside me. I kept pretending to wash my little plate until he turned off my water. I dried the plate and he took my plate away. I still refused to look at him. Looking at the ground instead. He put the plate on the counter and sat on the ground. Looking up at me. I sat beside him. "So I was trying to ask earlier... Did he... was I.... I don't know how to say it..."

"It's not going to offend me if that's why you can't ask," I shrugged.

"I just don't know what to say... I tried to get there as soon as I heard you scream... I was so worried we were too late... I wish I never left you alone... He never would have touched you if I were there... but when I got there your clothes were destroyed... you looked so tiny and tired... I thought I was too late... what I'm trying to say is were we too late?" He asked quietly. I looked at him. He was staring at his hands. Lost in thought. He had a sad look on his face. I moved in front of him and his frown deepened. "You were crying."

"You weren't too late.." I whispered. He immediately looked relieved and pulled me into his arms. I was sitting sideways on his lap and my head was on his shoulder. He just held me for a moment. Half to comfort him and half to comfort me.

We sat there for a while. He looked down at me. I could sleep like this. He looked at the cut on my leg. He frowned and ran his finger across it.

"Does that hurt?" He asked still looking at it.

"No," I whispered. If I spoke my voice cracked when I lied. He ran his finger across it again. That didn't hurt. Only when I stood. He looked at my face then my shoulder before moving the edge of my shirt and my bra. He touched the cut on my shoulder and I flinched involuntarily. He looked at my face and tried to smile.

I didn't know how long we had sat there but I was tired. I glanced at the stove clock. It had been almost an hour. My jaw hung open. Brayden laughed and I stood up. He looked up frowning before pulling me back onto his lap. He put one hand on my side and the other on my knee. I laid my head on his shoulder. I liked Brayden. Not like a date way. Like he was cool and a very comfy friend. He traced the cut on my leg and I started to fall asleep. He smiled at me and I smiled sleepily at him.

He easily picked me up bridal style. I didn't like being picked up. I hid my face and closed my eyes with my arms around him. Where are we going?

He carried me to my room and set me on my bed. He turned to leave. I was really tired but I didn't want him to go. I grabbed the back of his shirt and looked down at me.

"Don't go away yet. You're really comfy." I said quietly. He laughed. "Lay down with me?"

"I don't know." He said. "I might go to sleep too. Asher would miss us."

"Asher will live." I said still holding his shirt. "Please."

He sighed and nodded. I released his shirt and he sat on the other side of the bed. I rolled over to face him as he laid down. He smiled at me.

"How long are you staying, Brayden?" I asked. He smiled. 

"Until you fall asleep." He said still smiling.

"No, I mean until you leave Asher's."

"Oh." He said. His smile gone. "I don't know. I talked to Asher about staying here. Working with the horses to pay him. Maybe get a job pay him a little each month. My dad kicked me out."

"Oh. I'll tell Asher you're staying here." I said. "He let's me do whatever cause I'm his best friend and he's mine. So if all I want is a friend to stay he'll definitely let you. Only if you understand I am that friend that always uses you for a pillow."

"You don't have to. Asher said since you're here he wants me to find some place else. I can stay till I do."

"No!" I said loudly while hugging him. "You can't just go away."

"Why?" He asked. Good question.

"Cause you're the best pillow ever!" I said. He laughed and I laid my head on his shoulder and yawned. "See? Best pillow ever."

"Alright Daisy," he said. I fell asleep talking to him. He made me feel safe. Not like Asher did, better than Asher. With Asher I felt okay for now. With Brayden I was safe. 

My brain wouldn't let me have this. 

You just met him.

Don't get too cozy. 

Stop liking him. 

You don't like him. 

He saved you. 

 You like what he did.