Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty  

Verin's POV

Okay, I'd admit that I wasn't expecting that. One moment, I was going to get my head cut off and the next Foalan began howling. Everything was so fast. Crackling of bones, the sudden shouts of men, and the clang of metal. But. There was one sight that would never leave my mind.

The fact that I saw Faolan shift. He has trembled as fur easily sprout across his skin and bones crackled as he hunched over. There was even some drops of blood that fell to the ground as his face contorted into a wolf's face and get large claws. Now, truthfully, this wasn't awe inspiring or even gruesome but I'm not very good with details in general.

Wait, no, I just remember something while my gaze found frost underneath Faolan as he stood on all fours. To my amazement, I could see my breath.

This was very important as Lycans have three phases of shifting that they choose from. It truly depends on preference. In Faolan's case, he choose to take on a real form of a wolf as if the ones anyone would see wandering the woods except that he was larger than a normal wolf would be because that was what Lycans simply are. The other two phases are bipedal wolf and mid-transform. I won't get into that now because I feel they are very self-explanatory.

Though, there was something even more important than that. Stronger a wolf, depending on which two clans they are from, then an element of heat or ice will form to express the wolf's status within a pack. Stronger that element was --- more the proof of how strong a Lycan was.

So... back to my situation here. The cold air and frost went across the whole throne room.

Before I blinked, Faolan shook off the men that held him down as easily as flies before he suddenly leapt in the air and tackled the man that paused in his strike of cutting my head off. Before I could process what Faolan was doing, there was a loud Crack! And I saw a pool of red inch towards my face. In another blink, suddenly the men that held me down were gone... Gone! They were thrown across the room to wear Mammon and Vetis were.

Rolling to my back, I felt body heat and looked up to see that Faolan had moved above me, protectively. His body taunt and tense with his hair standing on end. His eyes were a near silver color which were cold and calculating as it stared the two men across the room, letting a low thundering growl that seemed to echo off the walls.

"Man, why can't you be on top more often?" I asked Faolan, feeling a smile creep up across my face.

His lips twitched as he gave a weird rumbling noise that seemed torn between a growl and a strained chuckle. I'm going to take that as he was amused. I decided right then and there. Not like I almost died or anything, right?

"Mammon." Vetis spoke up as he kept his gaze on them. "Look at his eyes."

He rubbed the back of his neck as he seemed almost sheepish. "Uh. Yeah, I know... That wasn't in the plan."

"You know what his eyes symbolize, don't you?"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I turned my face towards them. "His eyes?" I mumbled, confused. What about his eyes? I mean telling by the frost... He's really powerful but what about his eyes?

"It's okay." Mammon spoke up easily as he nodded. "We have enough silver for this."

Faolan began to lower himself to a crouch, where his fur nearly tickles my nose. Despite everything, his fur seems really soft. Should I touch it, maybe? "This is the time for us to run away, right?" I asked, knowing well I couldn't withstand multiple people.

He nudged my head. No, I'll buy you time to run.

"What? No!" I instantly disagreed, not bothering to question how I can hear his thoughts. Probably because I was beyond the shock by now.