Chapter Ten

Change of POV

Does anyone have any idea how boring as fuck this was? Here I was, forcing myself to sit in front of my father, next to my hateful cousin as we were being lectured for wrong-doing behavior.

Did I forget to mention that I might of stopped listening like, maybe, ten minutes ago from arrival?

He obviously didn’t get the hint that I cared or was listening in the first place. My cousin deserved that for being a bitch. Just saying!

“I’m so disappointed in you two.” My father said dryly. “Keep this behavior up, both of you then you both be guaranteed the throne.”

“What!” I spat, snarling. “That’s outrageous, father! I’m the oldest so of course I’m going to get it!”

“Not if I don’t see that you are fit for the role.” My father disagreed.

Mammon gave a twisted grimace but I could tell that he was secretly pleased that I would suffer the ordeal as well if it does go that way. That clever yet dumb ass of a bastard.

“I’m totally fit for the fucking role and you know it!” I hissed.

“Language.” My father growled.

“Why don’t you watch your language!” I snapped back.

“Verin!” My father slammed his fists onto the desk, making Mammon flinched but I didn’t move.

I glared as I forced myself to shut the hell up for once. It’s rare that I piss my father enough for him to get that furious with me.

“I got some news for the both of you anyways but I want you both to know that this is inappropriate behavior. This is your last warning before I will give away both your privileges to rule.” My father warned in a dead, serious tone. “Do I get a nod for this agreement before I can move on?”

Mammon made a small nod but I knew it wasn’t over when I notice the dark glint in his eyes that sparkled. I clenched my jaw furiously as I force myself to nod in a curt, jerky way.

My father sat back down and leaned back in his chair, instantly pleased with our cooperation. “Now, I’m not giving you a choice what you want or don’t want to hear, you understand?”

“Wow, thanks father.” I said bitterly.

My father gave me another look that I purposely ignored. “The bad news relate to you both actually or anyone. It seems like someone is planning on kidnapping or killing anyone that is planning to take on the throne.” He began. “I’m not going to sit back and allow such threats be made.”

I was, at first, shocked then I was flattered. I’m such a threat to them that they want me gone? Score!

“Don’t make it seem like a good thing, Verin.” My father told me sternly as if he read my mind loud and clear. “Because if you are killed, you won’t be exactly be on that throne that you want so much.”

I scowled. “I know that!” I snapped. I glanced over at Mammon since he was so quiet but he was pale as a sheet. I couldn’t help but snicker. “Baby.”

Mammon didn’t answer me.

“Verin!” My father snarled. “Take this seriously for once, would you?”